How precise is your fuel mix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I didn't answer "how precise".

I use a measuring cup, not a calibrated laboratory graduated cylinder. My chosen mix ratio makes for full ounces at gallon and half gallon measures. If my mix gave me a partial ounce, I'd round up to the next ounce.

I don't adjust my oil amount to account for the amount of oil I've added, which subtracts from the volume of gasoline I've added.

Lots of right ways to do this. Use good oil, tune for what you're running, and your saws will be fine.

I usually mix 1 maybe 2 gallons at a time. I just squeeze the oil bottle until the level is about halfway between the 2.6 and the 3.2 mark...(Roughly 3.0 oz. ) and go from there. I usually try to err closer to 2.6 line. Repeat per gallon of fuel.

I like using the opti 1 gallon packets. It’s super easy to get all the oil out into a 1 gallon jug for a 71:1 ratio. If I’m mixing for a 5 gallon can I use the ratio rite cup @ 9 oz per 5 gallons

I like using the opti 1 gallon packets. It’s super easy to get all the oil out into a 1 gallon jug for a 71:1 ratio. If I’m mixing for a 5 gallon can I use the ratio rite cup @ 9 oz per 5 gallons
Am I understanding you correctly? You mix your 2 stroke fuel at 72:1??? So, by far even leaner than the manufacturer's specs? I can't even imagine running any two stroke that lean.

I use a glass measuring cup I think it only does 16 oz I think it’s made by anchor. They sell them at Wally World. I only mix two gallons at a rip at 50:1 so I do 5.5 oz then rinse it out with gas. Put it back in the cupboard in the garage. It was actually one of them things i seen in my house all the time never gets used and a lightbulb went off one day and been using it ever sense.

The Ratio Rite isn't small enough to accurately mix 100:1 Amsoil Saber, so I use the plastic pee flask from a life insurance pee test.

Yeah, I did clean it first.😁 At 100:1, tenths of an ounce count.

Am I understanding you correctly? You mix your 2 stroke fuel at 72:1??? So, by far even leaner than the manufacturer's specs? I can't even imagine running any two stroke that lean.

Yes I run 3 lawnboy mowers with less than half of what they recommend. I also run all my stihl stuff on the same 71:1 ratio and that all calls for 50:1. The lawnboys call for 4 oz per gallon, I use 1.8 and have absolutely no problems, but I only run opti/ amsoil at that ratio because it’s designed to be ran like that. It’s MUCH thicker than a regular 2 cycle oil. I was a bit skeptical at first but it does work.

If I didn’t have amsoil or opti I’d use echo red armor at 50:1 in everything.

OIL THREAD NOW!
DramaLlama.gif

I'm just a homeowner here who doesn't go through a lot, but I use a 2-Cup measuring glass which holds 500ml and then use a 10ml syringe for the oil. Fortunately, my wife and two daughters are nurses so the syringes are easy to come by.

BTW, I'm not talking about the ones with needles. Just the ones for flushing out IV's and such.

I measured 4 ounces of oil. Marked with a sharpie in a plastic cup with a lid. 32:1 or there about. I use whatever oil not too picky. I lost a ported saw at 40:1. Sh it brand oil. Since then I went to 32:1 I like extra oil in my fuel.

I run a lot of older huskies in the foreign manuals for other countries they spec 32:1. So that’s what they get.

Stihl used to specify 50:1 with their own oil, and 25:1 with any other oil.

I'd go with 25:1 myself and tune for my mix, but not sure if the 500i's fuel injection would be happy with that. I saw several people run the 500i on 32:1 just fine, so that's my mix.

Less is more for a lot of things, but when it comes to oil, more is more.

I'd go with 25:1 myself and tune for my mix, but not sure if the 500i's fuel injection would be happy with that. I saw several people run the 500i on 32:1 just fine, so that's my mix.

Less is more for a lot of things, but when it comes to oil, more is more.
Question: I've heard that the gasoline in 2mix helps cool the engine by using the heat of the engine to evaporate the fuel. So does reducing the amount of gasoline in 2mix (by increasing the % of oil) cause 2T engines to run hotter? (I guess I'm assuming that the oil in the 2mix is not "evaporated" or "converted into a gas" in the same way as the gasoline is before it gets burned.)

If reducing the % of gasoline in the 2mix does make the engine run hotter, I wonder whether that additional heat is offset at all by reducing the heat of friction by adding oil.

It's kind of an academic discussion, but interesting, at least to me. Testing lab to the courtesy phone!

Latest posts

Back