how to bore a carb??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS390

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have searched and cant find anything:can anybody help me??it seems to be some kind off a holy grail or is it just me:msp_unsure:

i am getting an extra carb( 20 days from now) for my 046 that has been ported and I would like to make that carb bigger in the ventury or is there more to do??
my saw is a work saw....
how do you guys do it?

Kind regards Jan

I personally would go through and adopt a new carb bonnet and put a larger one on there instead of boring a carb. Its much easier to modify an intake then the actual carb.

Weird things happen when you bore a carb. Don't forget, the venturi is what causes the pressure gradient that pushes fuel through the main nozzle. There is a very fine line between correct velocity, atomization, and flow. Kind of like a physics version of ballet.

Last edited:
Weird things happen when you bore a carb. Don't forget, the venturi is what causes the pressure gradient that pushes fuel through the main nozzle.

that is why I ask,I don´t want to invent the deep plate again:msp_thumbup:

what to do??
some off you guys have made 100 off them......

maybe,but then filter/cover ect don´t fit

anybody know how much i can/should open the 046 carb max??

I think the 046/460 shares the same filter assy with the 066/660.

Impulse and mounts might match too.

Maybe someone can confirm this. I have a 066 and many places list the same air filters for the 046.

Sorry , do not have a 046 to compare with directly

You could show it a video that the carb isn't interested in.

I personally like the idea of putting a larger carb on. There was a bit of engineering that went into the design of the carbs.

I think the 046/460 shares the same filter assy with the 066/660.

Impulse and mounts might match too.

Maybe someone can confirm this. I have a 066 and many places list the same air filters for the 046.

Sorry , do not have a 046 to compare with directly

do you know if the carb is the same 066/660? I´ll go in the basement and check if it fits i have a 660 project in pieces

Last edited:
do you know if the carb is the same 066/660? I´ll go in the basement and check if it fits i have a 660 project in pieces

The 044/046 and 066/660 carbs are completely different animals. The way they mount is different, the linkage is all different- it's a lot of fabrication if you want to put a 660 carb on a 440.

Carbs are lilely the most difficult part to modify, Like Simonizer posted, change the venturi and the fuel curve will change. This happens because the velocity of air going past the main feeder jet decreases while the velocity going past the low speed orifices near the throttle plate stay the same messing up the balance between low speed and high speed fuel. The result is often a lean mid range or an over rich top end.

Going in and messing with the orifices, mettering spring and trottle plate it is possible to get the fuel curve back but it usually takes some fiddling.

It is possible to get a little extra diamiter at the venturi on an 046 carb, but the passage up from the fuel pump to the needle valve is very close to the carb bore.

On an 046 work type saw there is no real need to go bigger on the carb, they will easily spin up 15,000 rpm without major changes. If racing than a bigger carb will be in order as there is just not enough meat on the 046 carb to work with.

If the bore of the carb is round without humps I will work them over on lathe, but sometimes work needs to be done by hand, 066 carb is one that has a hump near the main jet that makes lathe work impractical.

Cant remember if this is a 361 carb or 044/046. 044/046 I think, one on left bored out a couple mm. Have done some the full way trough making new choke and throttle plates, and relocating internal passages no easy task.

Last edited:
On an 046 work type saw there is no real need to go bigger on the carb, they will easily spin up 15,000 rpm without major changes..

OK,I hear you,now I got some answers,that I can use

"15000 rpm whithout major changes.."?

my saw was born with a 0,70 mm jet,i have put a 0,75 mm in it,what else to do,or is it enouph??

Back