how to climb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipou

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i am new to the site, and not an arborist yet. i am wondering......when you are climbing a tree without spikes on, how does the initial rope up at the top that attaches to you get tied?
how do you get up the tree without a rope already up there?
i dont know if i worded this correctly but any reply would help my mental image alot more. thanks

As has been said here often in the past, buy a copy of the Tree Climbers' Companion. It explains what you are asking in extremely simple terms anyone can understand, me included. Generally most climbers I have worked with throw a weighed bag over a high crotch, attach their climbing rope to the throw line, and pull it over the crotch. Presto, rope is in tree, available for a differing variety of attaching/ascending systems, be they hitches or ascenders on the feet etc. Seriously, if you are interested, buy the book.

I use a throw ball if possible ... when using one, try to isolate the limb your over ( assuming it is safe to climb off of) if there is a low crotch i use a pole saw with up to 2 extensions ( any farther i use the ball) Then if i'm close to the base of the tree i hip thrust up ( make sure the distance from ur friction hitch to ur saddle is as far as possible... u'll get more distance per pull) if i'm to far to get a good body thrust i foot lock which i prefer doing anyways. also if its less than about 20 feet i normally don't tie in, because i know i'm good for that far with no breaks.

once ur into the tree, assuming ur not tied into ur desired crotch, just ladder it up if possible, if not reset ur rope a few time or w/e with ur pole saw. i was always told to try to get around the main trunk whenever possible rather than just around a limb. i hope that helps alittle, i've only been climbing a year so... maybe there's better ways than that.

The best advice I can give is use the search option on this site. This a topic that comes up on a regular basis. Therefore has been answered many times. So you may not be getting a lot of responses from some of the more experienced climbers.

Hi Pipou,
This question has been asked many times,a good start as mentioned before is to buy the tree climbers companion..and also check out the video section on this forum as there is a member who takes time out to video his technique's..the good and the bad..and also give a little insight as well..I'm not going to mention his name cause it could cause him to get a big head and he might fall out of a tree cause of it..LOL..but i'm shore everyone knows who i'm talking about!
All The Best

big head

whould that be the great (guru) from brisbane who has educated me and made me laugh since i joined this learning masterclass of wisdom;:monkey: yours old timer

Back