How to cut 6' dia. Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This old oak is dead and partially hollow, what is the best way to go about dropping it, it is 6'at the base and is about 18' tall .
y2emavuz.jpg

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Have any pics of the busted out top half you could post ?

What bar length does the j-red carry?

Those busted sticks can be a real work out wedging over. Deeper face (50%) can help if the wood is good, which this one looks questionable. Hedgerow stuff may have wire to consider.

Take u'r time, as the Orca said, a deep Humboldt face will help keep it from just standing there making you pound wedges. I actually like these, stuff happens pretty slow. Just make sure you make sure it isn't too rotten/hollow by sounding it with u'r axe. Most importantly, take some cool "I'm a real lumberjack" stump pics!

The piece laying there is part of the top that fell, no better pics than that, i have a 28" and a 36" for the j-red. I'll take better pics of the other side before i cut it.

Treeser, it is on my buddies property and he wants it gone so i am not going to argue, lol. My j-red is all stock, i thought about a muff mod but don't know how much difference just that will make.

If your J-red is like my 385xp, there is no baffle in the muffler to remove. Open another exhaust port in the muffler cover, push your earplugs in a bit further, and let her breathe. You may need to re-tune a bit.

Shagbark, did that make a noticeable difference on the 385? I think they are the same saw.

Muffler mod helps a 385 a decent amount. So does deleting the base gasket. Mine's now ported. Both Brad and Randy say a ported 385 is about the fastest thing around. Not good for stumping with the 42", too slow prior to porting, and not enough oil before or after. Still my favorite saw tho

My non-dyno proven answer is yes. I run an 8 pin rim and a 24" bar full comp chain. Definitely would run the 7 pin rim on a 36" Bar. I wouldn't be apprehensive to run a 36" with it.

Latest posts

Back