How to Cut Logs to be a Fire Showcase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firediver125

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what you have to do to cut logs, so as to make them a vertical piece of firewood, to make the cool colors and dancing flames. I have heard about this from others but never actually seen one, nor do I know what they are actually referred to as. Thanks!

Yes -swedish candles. I make a verticle "x" in the wood that stops about 4" from the bottom, add some lighter fluid and light it up. Makes a great camp fire. Wood must be dry for this to work well, otherwise just makes a lot of steam. Best to make your candle cuts well ahead of time to make sure it is dry.

swedish candle

I get really good burn times out of fresh cut pine. Make a bore cut down the center of the log and then an intersecting bore cut through the side. If you aren't comfortable making bore cuts....DO NOT ATTEMPT! If we're having a get together, a few of them are placed throughout the yard and the burning green wood takes care of mosquitoes and other annoyances. Sure beats buying citronella oil for the tiki torches.

That's awsome!! I can't wait for fall so I can try it.

I have some pine that's been sitting for about a year now and is about 20" across, would that work?

That'll work. Pine pops a lot, but it shouldbe fine. I have not tried pine for mine. I've used red oak, black birch, and silver maple. I liked the birch the best as it has the best aroma. Pine will make a good smelling fire, also.

Swedish Candles

I first learned of them from this site and they are so neat. I think they work great in the summer when you want a camp fire,because most of the heat they generate goes up and not out to make sitting around the fire too warm. Seems to work that way for me anyway.

Ron

I have found that pine is great for the summertime. Especially the green stuff...might take a little longer to get going but smells nice and keeps the bugs away. I typically make 4 bore cuts down the center and then my crossing bore cut "releases" the core and makes an air vent. My 338 does a great job of this since it has the smallest in height of bars. All the chips and a few splitter turds go in the hole with a dab of kerosene or other petroleum product on hand to get the party started. Considering the dry weather we are having....it never hurts to put the candle on a "pad" of old bricks or some such other non-combustible to keep the yard from going up later in the evening.

Latest posts

Back