How to cut this 'leaner'....?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flintknapper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got this ‘Fringe Tree’ out in the yard…that has never grown beyond what you see here (about 9’ high).

Mrs. Flintknapper wants it removed so we can plant something else there.

So, this is where I need some advice. I plan to cut it down….but as you can see, it is a ‘leaner’ and is also ‘limb heavy’ on that same side.

Do you think I should ‘Top it out’ first, or just go ahead and cut it? I don’t want it to split out…or (Barber Chair) on me! That thing is probably 4” at the base….and could really hurt someone. ;)

fringetree1_zpsgzhqgdtv.jpg

Thank You in advance,

Flint. :chop:

First off you are going to need the right gear, make sure your lady gives you a blank check to prepare for the long weekend ahead. Remember your bar length must equal the trunk height, can't really tell by the pic but I think you are real close to having the right bar and chain combo.

I wouldn't recommend trying to handle that yourself. The potential pitfalls are really just too great. Hiring a pro is the only logical course. You might also consider hosting a GTG so a bunch of experienced fallers could give their opinion.
Not that you should, but just hypothetically if one were to try to tackle this, I would recommend.....
1) a sturdy wrap above the planned cut to reduce the risk of barber chair. You could use either twine or duct tape.
2) a nice open face, or even a block face
3) bore the heartwood out thru the face. A 3/4 speed-bor bit would be perfect.
4) a nice quick back cut. Probably best to use square chisel on a ported saw

Own a 4x4 truck? If so, wrap a chain around the base of the tree and over a 2x8 at least 4' long. Lean the board back towards the tree and affix the chain to your truck with very little slack. Stomp on the gas with the truck locked in 4x4 low and it should pop out . No saw needed, no stump left and the hole for the next tree is mostly dug.

Own a 4x4 truck? If so, wrap a chain around the base of the tree and over a 2x8 at least 4' long. Lean the board back towards the tree and affix the chain to your truck with very little slack. Stomp on the gas with the truck locked in 4x4 low and it should pop out . No saw needed, no stump left and the hole for the next tree is mostly dug.

Have a 1970 Bronco Half Cab (lockers front and rear) winch, NP 435 tranny or FJ80 Land Cruiser (lockers front and rear) if those would work? Or I could just use the backhoe attachment on the tractor. :)

I'd either bind it with chains, or ratchet strap the heck out of it, barberchair is nothing to play with! Might even consider a bore cut on that beast!

Or I could just use the backhoe attachment on the tractor.

Maybe not, might need to start up the D8H.

Neighbor asked me to come over with the backhoe (Ford 4500) to pull a 4" plum tree (it was not plumb) where she wanted to put a shed so she could convert the garage to an office. Anyway, that little plum sure had the root system, 20 ft away on the other side of the fence it left a furrow in neighbors yard where a root pulled out.

So, be sure to move that saw first, you don't want to lose it in the big hole left!

Not enough information. I won't be giving you any professional advice just to have you go hurt yourself (or worse), call a pro. I saw a guy climbing a tree with a rope tied around his waist and he really looked like he knew what he was doing, maybe I can get his number for you.

Not sure if your dawgs will dig into the bark. Might consider a heavier duty saw. Or see if the saw can receive a larger dawg. Have you thought of getting a different sprocket?

Not sure if your dawgs will dig into the bark. Might consider a heavier duty saw. Or see if the saw can receive a larger dawg. Have you thought of getting a different sprocket?

I'm thinking I'd better leave that 7 pin rim in there (that's a 42" bar on it).

I'm running 404 pitch chain (semi-chisel, full skip) and that rim is already a fairly large diameter. The 8 pin I have for it (when running a smaller bar) works well for a little more chain speed (larger diameter rim).

The saw has plenty of 'grunt'...so no need to go down to 3/8ths. Just really worried about this tree. You know how sometimes you look at one and kinda get that 'hinky' feeling, like maybe this might be THE tree that gets me? :)

You know how sometimes you look at one and kinda get that 'hinky' feeling, like maybe this might be THE tree that gets me? :)

Yeah, that 200 foot solid snag with the rotten butt cranked up the hill into your face with no bullets and just a 4" strip to wedge from.
I feel like I'm gòing to puke When I deal with that. Yeah this would be one of those rare ones.
Semi chisel...why?

Back