How to evaluate local arborists?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecfinn

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the process of getting some quotes for some tree work I'd like to have done at my house. What tips can you give me on how to evaluate their proposals? I'm not a fan of choosing based upon price. What should I do if different folks have different plans for how to best handle my trees? Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric Finn (new member, but long-time reader)

Last edited:
Eric,

If I was you I would look at http://www.treesaregood.com . This site can assist you in the how-to aspects of tree work. It will assist you by making you informed as to what can be done with your trees, you could ask some questions of your prospective arborist, not unlike a lawyer who never asks a question that they don't know the answer to. You may even make some inquiries as to some off-the-wall topic like topping to see what explanations you get.

The more informed you are going into a agreement with your arborist the better the outcome for your trees. Good on you for not going with the lowest bid, sounds like you have absorbed some wisdom from other peoples misfortune.

Good luck,
Brent

I would pick the one that seems to be confident but not overzealous. Ask them how long they been climbing and find out what kind of reputation they have. The main thing is you want to find a tree guy or company that is trustworthy that you can depend on. They should explain what they are going to do, and you should pick the one that makes the most sense to you.

Certification, knowledge of standards, strategy for increasing longterm health and value of trees, having tools other than saws, insurance, references...

Insurance is important. A chipper is a good clue. Some put in writing that all pruning will be done to ANSI standard. This should insure that they don't use spikes to climb the tree, and that they make collar cuts as opposed to flush or stub.

Back