how to "false crotch" a stalk down.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter.s

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
okay.

Ive been climbing a few years and I always used a pulley and a cows hitch to rig down sections of stalk,but last week I was working with another climber and he asked why I dont just false crotch the stalk down and when I said I dont know how and asked him to tell me how to do it he refused (no love lost).

So my question is pretty mutch the title - any help would be appreciated.

pete.

maybe ill try and phrase it again.

from what ive been told there is a way to false crotch a tree without a pulley
something about wraping the rope around the tree under the cut and what not but I dont know the specifics.

something about wraping the rope around the tree under the cut and what not but I dont know the specifics.

yeah, you can false crotch it without a pulley, but you ain't gonna lower it, it will cinch up and then you will be figuring out how to un-cinch it. Rope on rope friction ain't a false crotch. Peinse!
Jeff

Thats old school. Gives you less control and tears up your ropes. Your friend is bs'ing you.

I do that method since I don't have to pay for my own rigging ropes and am not supplied with and don't own rigging pulleys. I don't know when or if I'll be able to make a video but if your really interested I can give you a description but it's not the safest way or best way to do it. Yes you can lower it down after, it won't cinch up. I found out the wrong way if you cut a 400lbs + piece you might not have enough friction in your false crotch and it (the false crotch) can slide down the tree a bit before it bites again.

Thats old school. Gives you less control and tears up your ropes. Your friend is bs'ing you.

When you can " false crotch" a tree down you have ascertained a Zen like state. Its not something a person can show another person to do and it doesn't really say a whole lot of good about Zen I suppose now does it?

Guys that use this method to TD trees are mistakenly thought of as gods because it is so much quicker and easier but no self respecting human would do it.

okay.

Ive been climbing a few years and I always used a pulley and a cows hitch to rig down sections of stalk,but last week I was working with another climber and he asked why I dont just false crotch the stalk down and when I said I dont know how and asked him to tell me how to do it he refused (no love lost).

So my question is pretty mutch the title - any help would be appreciated.

pete.

He wouldn't show you because he knew better.

Don't go getting all upheaved over one of those " false crotchers" who lurched out from under a bridge only to be chased back into the darkness by the glint from a lowering block.

Its probably best you two part ways.

Maybe this will help you..

false crotching in this sense is not what " false crotching" is and don't get either confused with natural crotching.

" false crotching is rigging the rope through itself so that the load side is caught and ran across the tail side. You have to be creative in doing so and you have to be insane.

It only takes a couple times til the rope is fried.

What you see in the video is common practice. What this other guy is talking about is a different entity and only common practice to a handful of wretched bandit vagabond types who claim to be spiritual. Hell, maybe they are! I can't figure out how they do it either! Actually, what I don't get is how the rope ain't broke!

And actually, while these guys will show you how to take down a tree let me tell you, well, I seent it. Its cool on paper. Ain't doing it to my ropes and HELL you can't say for sure it going really hold. No way! No integrity in the rigging at all, in fact pure sabotage. Who the Hell would do that? To me, it seems they are just to lazy to set the blocks ( yeah, its kinda hard I'll agree) and really are leaving to much to chance.

Old School? I don't think so. No school is more like it.

I do that method since I don't have to pay for my own rigging ropes and am not supplied with and don't own rigging pulleys. I don't know when or if I'll be able to make a video but if your really interested I can give you a description but it's not the safest way or best way to do it. Yes you can lower it down after, it won't cinch up. I found out the wrong way if you cut a 400lbs + piece you might not have enough friction in your false crotch and it (the false crotch) can slide down the tree a bit before it bites again.

Uh, um, like, uh. What!?

false crotching in this sense is not what " false crotching" is and don't get either confused with natural crotching.

" false crotching is rigging the rope through itself so that the load side is caught and ran across the tail side. You have to be creative in doing so and you have to be insane.

It only takes a couple times til the rope is fried.

What you see in the video is common practice. What this other guy is talking about is a different entity and only common practice to a handful of wretched bandit vagabond types who claim to be spiritual. Hell, maybe they are! I can't figure out how they do it either! Actually, what I don't get is how the rope ain't broke!

If by a couple times you mean 30-50 trees rigging 250lbs pieces 10-12 pieces a tree. Yes the rope will need to be retired after a couple trees. While you seem to be very set against this practice, it is functional when you don't have rigging gear available. The better option is of course to have the rigging gear or to only do trees with lots of crotch's.

As for your talk of Zen, spiritual, and creatures.
"Uh, um, like, uh. What!?"

I have on a time or two, using three strand sort of falsed crotched a chunk or two down without using a pulley. You need to leave a small stub(sometimes two at the same height)run the rope around the tree then(this is important)go under its self and over a stub, face cut the chunk tie it off and let it go. If for some reason the stub doesn't catch it, the rope can slid down the tree. But if placed right it doesn't take a big stub, only a few inches for the rope to be guided in. If you go over the rope and not under it your screwed too. It'll lock its self. This is a good Technic to know, but not one you should use often. if done right you can let it run and brake it your self from the tree. Lot of things can go wrong and its hard on rope.

Latest posts

Back