How to find a forester/logger?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mranum

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Haven't been around the site for quite a while but I need some input from this particular community. Sort of a stupid question maybe but, how does one go about getting a logger/forester to come and take a look at a woods and sell the wood?

My mother has 20 acres of rather thick woods that really needs to be thinned out. Thought it may help provide some income for her as well. The vast majority of it white pine, and while there are some good sized trees(40-50' tall) most of it is 20'-30' tall with trunks ranging 8"-12" in dia.when looking at them at eye level.

There are Jack pine, Red pine and Pin Oak too. We're out in God's country and no wet lands or streams to worry about.

This is all new to me, where do I go from here? :msp_confused:

Some counties in Wisconsin have county foresters. Bayfield County for sure has one or two. They might be of help. Then, there is also a program for accredited loggers. I forget what that is called. Ask for references. There are good ones and bad ones.

I am a logger in Northern Wisconsin. I may be of assistance. If you are in my area, I would be glad to take a look at it with you. If it is not feasible for me, I may be able to recommend someone to you.

Foresters are a shy lot. That's why they work in the woods. That might make it hard to find one. You may coax one out by wafting the scent of good coffee through the woods that you expect one to be in. Do not approach a forester too quickly, it may cause it to bolt back into the woods. Move slowly but do not show fear. The shy forester may approach you then, and you will have become a "Forester Whisperer."

Another thing, do not rely on email. ALWAYS call. Call again and again until you get someone.

It's hard enough gettin' people to respond to their email these days, especially if they work for the government - it's like waiting on the bus.

Another thing, do not rely on email. ALWAYS call. Call again and again until you get someone.

It's hard enough gettin' people to respond to their email these days, especially if they work for the government - it's like waiting on the bus.

That's because the E-mail is jammed with You Have Not Completed Your Mandatory Computer Security Training or whatever else has been added, along with nice thing like it is Golden Retriever Appreciation Week, or Evil Cumudgeon is Retiring! messages. An e-mail followed up by a call is nice. Sometimes, I'd get in late and wouldn't check the e-mail for fear of a message from She Who Must Not Be Named about a logger not Staple Staple Staple Staple Fold Stapling properly. That would make me go home in a foul mood. That is not a good way to go home.

that's because the e-mail is jammed with you have not completed your mandatory computer security training or whatever else has been added, along with nice thing like it is golden retriever appreciation week, or evil cumudgeon is retiring! Messages.

have you been monitoring my e-mail?

There's a big difference between a logger and a forester. One cuts wood and makes you money, the other gets stoned on the marijuana and trips through the wood marking dead trees with blue paint.

Be aware, get several written estimates. Foresters will want to be paid for showing up stoned. Loggers will give free estimates. Both can and might lie to get the job, hence the several estimates thing.

There's a big difference between a logger and a forester. One cuts wood and makes you money, the other gets stoned on the marijuana and trips through the wood marking dead trees with blue paint.

Be aware, get several written estimates. Foresters will want to be paid for showing up stoned. Loggers will give free estimates. Both can and might lie to get the job, hence the several estimates thing.

That's why you want a forest engineer....not a forester. We'll mark the right trees, get the roads built, get a logger, and even develop a rock pit for you.....when you want trees to grow on the stripped, leveled and rocked site...get a forester to figure that tree growing mumbo jumbo out.

I use to log in Wisconsin and there were two foresters up there that the landowners were using, and they would mark the dumbest set of trees. I do swear they were either drunk or stoned when they did it. There was never any rhyme or reason as to what, where or why they marked 1/2 of the trees.

I'd go with the multi logger estimate and get it clear on the clean up and clean trails.

Now your situation is a thinning/pulp job so thats going to look a little different.

On the thinning, I'd just get multi loggers in there and have them bid on it. Pic a range of dia.s and have them bid on that range.

My opinion,
Sam

That's why you want a forest engineer....not a forester. We'll mark the right trees, get the roads built, get a logger, and even develop a rock pit for you.....when you want trees to grow on the stripped, leveled and rocked site...get a forester to figure that tree growing mumbo jumbo out.

Except, there is a difference in road location preferences. I laid out a very nice road in Wisconsin. Nice grade and located it on the little sideslopes so it would drain, like we do out here. The logger walked it, and wanted it redone. He couldn't deck logs on both sides because I laid it out so it would drain. Drainage was not an issue in that part of Wisconsin. We walked it together and changed the location.

Don't ever mark road right of way trees while taking pain pills. :eek2:

That logger probably couldn't deck logs on any of our roads out west, thats what high stumps and driven pecker poles are for! But I guess it's tough when you probably don't even have a shovel. Was he skidder logging?

That logger probably couldn't deck logs on any of our roads out west, thats what high stumps and driven pecker poles are for! But I guess it's tough when you probably don't even have a shovel. Was he skidder logging?

Steep ground was 30% there. They were going totally mechanized. Processor to Forwarder to deck to self loading truck. 8 foot sticks loaded sideways on flatbeds. Because of the style of truck used, it also took a big area to turn them around.

I constantly told them they needed to get real log trucks, and got the stink eye.

They log differently than here, it works, that's the way it is. And they can put out the loads, unless a truck gets stuck in the snow. The truckers don't carry chains, because using them on highways is against the law.

A different world.

Latest posts

Back