How to identify Stihl 045

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you look at the two mine comes out of the radius and stops yours has a bit of straight then the rubber block. The way it sits I have easy access to side plate and clutch.
Maybe because it’s steel they stoped there to save a little weight.
Shawn

If you look at the two mine comes out of the radius and stops yours has a bit of straight then the rubber block. The way it sits I have easy access to side plate and clutch.
Maybe because it’s steel they stoped there to save a little weight.
Shawn

That isn’t “mine” just one of several I am looking at. Regardless, being made of steel your may be much stronger than the original aluminum and may not require the additional mount for support.
If it doesn’t bother you to not have a lower mount; don’t use one.

8331C0FA-E971-48F6-9651-219C569806DB.jpeg 87FE313C-CDA8-41EF-B957-B4B1A8265E26.jpeg F79530E6-BB36-4180-B484-A5633D539A22.jpegI believe after looking at it closer this handle was meant to hang free. It doesn’t even come close to the cut out 1 1/2 inches back to center of bar the bar stops 2” from the chain case.
The second pic shows the plug in the end.
The third shows the original mount that was on the saw. With the two attachment points it is rock solid. Now to find some alcohol free gas.
And make chips.
Shawn

Was in my local Stihl dealer this past weekend mentioned to the parts guy that I liked the Stihl cant hook and that I would be getting one soon. He called me today said that his boss had brought his in today and put a $75.00 piece tag on it. I told him I’ll stop as soon as I can to get it, he just dropped off at my house $75.00 and it has the jack attachment too. It pays to BS a little around the saw shop.
Shawn

20C713AC-95EA-4150-96F7-8D8B0804BCE5.jpeg Put the 045 to work today sawing a couple of large ash trees up and I must say it way out powers my 390. Then I couldn’t leave well enough alone had to see what makes her tick. So now I need a impulse line.
It was a little dried and slightly cracked but was not leaking until I was done with it, now I have it opened up for a proper cleaning but was wondering about a part on the case. I was wondering if someone could tell me what that fitting is? It is below and to the left of the impulse fitting at about 7:00.
Thanks
Shawn

That is the bar oil breather. They are notorious for leaking, but easily rebuildable. That little plastic mount can be pulled out of the case, the metal portion pushes right out of it. There is a small spring and check ball inside. Press back together and it pressess right back into the case.

On the breather thanks I just couldn’t figure out what it was. Oiler is working fine so I won’t mess with it. The old full wrap is bent and half that goes down on the chain cover side is gone but if you want it send me an address in a pm.
I’m learning a lot in this last couple weeks thanks all for sharing your wisdom.
Shawn

Was wondering if I were to look into a new saw what size of Stihl saw would have similar performance to that old 045?
Shawn

I would guess anything in the 70cc range would have the power of your grand dads 045 but a proper modern saw for YOU from the 045 would be a 038 super or magII ! Sure your used to the weight by now!

good luck and nice story!

He has an 038 super in his stable and you are correct it is a real good saw but I doubt he will give it up to me. The weight doesn’t bother me much I actually prefer the heavy saw as it cuts under its own weight not pressure I put on it. I’m kinda big guy 6’4” 300+# so throwing a little extra weight does not bother me what I think I may try is a longer bar to reduce the amount of bending.
Shawn

Putting her back together tonight that was a learning experience I did find another problem the wire coming from the ignition to the kill switch all the insulation is falling off any suggestions on a fix for that?

I used heat shrink and liquid tape to seal it threw it back together and no extra parts were found she runs great. It’s the second saw I’ve taken apart and reassembled it’s a challenge but if I take my time it works out.
Thanks for the help.
This saw makes me want to look at a MS 461 R
Shawn

Well running the 045 has changed me I called my local STIHL dealer to check on prices and within a month and a half I’ll have a MS 461 to take the load off my 045 not retire it but share the load.
Shawn

Latest posts

Back