How to kill a Brazilian pepper tree stump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socal natives

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does any one have any experience with killing Brazilian pepper tree stumps or any others.

Do I have to gind them up or is there a herbicide / chemical solution.

Does any one have any experience with killing Brazilian pepper tree stumps or any others.

Do I have to gind them up or is there a herbicide / chemical solution.

Pure undiluted Roundup will do the job.

If it's a freshly cut stump, apply the roundup directly onto the cambial ring or outer edge.

If it's an old stump that's suckering/sprouting, apply the roundup to the new leaves on the suckers with a spray bottle.

Pay close attention to wind drift, wear a respirator with a purple filter and wear chemical resistant gloves and long sleeved shirt.

Be happy it's not a poplar stump!

Remember this stuff is poison and use common sense.

jomoco

Ditto...

If its already suckering you may have to use several applications to kill it completely by just spraying the regrowth. I would recommend cutting the stump fresh to ensure best results, also score through any exposed roots and apply herbicide to them also, not just the stump, these things have 9000 lives!

If you can get it, Tordon R.T.U is very effective on pepper, but DO NOT use it if the stump very close to anything you want to save.

Read the labels and decide what level of risk you can take!

BTW, if you have the time and patience you can kill the stump by just bashing off any new sprouts every time they re-appear, eventually the stump will starve and die without chemicals...

Sure these chemicals will work but why not just wrap/tarp the stump. The absence of light will do the same thing without exposing you or your landscape to the nasty liquid stuff. :)

Drill some holes under an angle in the stump, fill them with batteryacid.
Don't put drill into the stump but only into the living wood.

Good luck,

Lex

Pure undiluted Roundup will do the job.

If it's a freshly cut stump, apply the roundup directly onto the cambial ring or outer edge.

If it's an old stump that's suckering/sprouting, apply the roundup to the new leaves on the suckers with a spray bottle.

Pay close attention to wind drift, wear a respirator with a purple filter and wear chemical resistant gloves and long sleeved shirt.

Be happy it's not a poplar stump!

Remember this stuff is poison and use common sense.

jomoco
On suckers and other selective plants that are close to other plants I've found that wicking with 2 sponges or a sponge used in conjunction with a backer board works better than spraying for three reasons. 1) no drift 2) greater leaf coverage and 3) uses a lot less chemicals.

Unless you apply chemical to the cambial region immediately after the cut it prob will not work. What about grafted roots to nearby trees within the same family?

Why bother with all this fuss when the abscence of sunlight solves the issue altogether?

On suckers and other selective plants that are close to other plants I've found that wicking with 2 sponges or a sponge used in conjunction with a backer board works better than spraying for three reasons. 1) no drift 2) greater leaf coverage and 3) uses a lot less chemicals.

Very smart and clever Maybar, thanks, I'll remember that sound practical method of herbicide application in crowded treescapes in the future.

Excellent tip for the ole bag o tricks!

jomoco

Latest posts

Back