Stump killer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grogetr sawguy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm cutting some hedge trees down and would like to kill the stumps so they don't grow back like a big bush. I cut the stumps down as low as I can to the ground. I looked at some stump killer and it looks like it is mostly 24D. Will regular 24D work. Can it just be spread on the top of the stump and if so how much of the stump should be covered and at what ratio should it be mixed at or use it full strength? Thanks for any help

Glyphosate and triclopyr 3 (amine), and probably 2,4-D too, should be diluted 50/50 with water. Apply to the outer 2" of the top of the freshly cut stump. Same for Tordon RTU. If they're already cut and dry, you can use triclopyr 3 (ester) on the bark around the stump.

Please use Picloram (Tordon), do not dilute it (RTU) yes if 22K and look back as they will be dead with zero regrowth and in some cases kill the surrounding ones. Those who push glyphosate mean well but are not killing stumps, they are stunting the growth. It is simple science

Triclopyr at 25% in diesel or horticultural oil. Apply it to the just-cut stump, especially on the wood closer just inside the bark (the phloem layer). You have to do it right away before the stump stops pulling nutrients down from what was the tree.

Bulk Triclopyr comes at about a 66% concentration so you need to take that into account when diluting it.

This mix is also good for killing poison oak vines where the leaves are out of reach up in a tree. Wet down about an 18" long section of the vine with the mixture. The oil helps it stick and soak in. Water will just run off.

Diesel is hard on regular sprayers. They make oil resistant sprayers.

Triclopyr at 25% in diesel or horticultural oil. Apply it to the just-cut stump, especially on the wood closer just inside the bark (the phloem layer). You have to do it right away before the stump stops pulling nutrients down from what was the tree.

Bulk Triclopyr comes at about a 66% concentration so you need to take that into account when diluting it.

This mix is also good for killing poison oak vines where the leaves are out of reach up in a tree. Wet down about an 18" long section of the vine with the mixture. The oil helps it stick and soak in. Water will just run off.

Diesel is hard on regular sprayers. They make oil resistant sprayers.
What is your re-growth rate on stumps with that mix?

Most of the time glyphosate concentrate mixed with diesel painted on the stump will work. Arsenal will work better, but it will kill everything the roots touch.

Most of the time glyphosate concentrate mixed with diesel painted on the stump will work. Arsenal will work better, but it will kill everything the roots touch.
I have never used a Imazapyr (Arsenal) but at $90/gallon I see it to be a bit expensive. I am amazed though in the polar switch in herbicide prices this Spring. Glyphosate is down and 24D has skyrocketed

BUTTERMILK!?
I remember (70 years ago) my Grandfather boring holes in stumps with a wood auger and my Grandmother pouring buttermilk in the holes.
I can't remember now if it was to rot the stump or an offering to the wood nymphs.

Attachments

• nymph3.jpg
    nymph3.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0
I picked up the Tordon RTU tip from here and used it on a mix of crabapple, oak, ash, and maple last year. While it may be too early to tell as the snow just melted, it looks like it worked on everything I applied it to.

It was a couple of weeks after I had cut the trees, so I freshened up the stumps a bit with a saw before applying.

I picked up the Tordon RTU tip from here and used it on a mix of crabapple, oak, ash, and maple last year. While it may be too early to tell as the snow just melted, it looks like it worked on everything I applied it to.

It was a couple of weeks after I had cut the trees, so I freshened up the stumps a bit with a saw before applying.
I have never seen it fail.

Tordon is the magic bullet for killing anything brush or tree like.
It doesn't work fast, it just works completely. The downside is that is water soluible tends to move around in the soil, and is active at really low concentrations,
For vine maple during the growing season, I just use a squirt bottle of Crossbow on the cut stump with results almost as good as Tordon.

Glyphosate and triclopyr 3 (amine), and probably 2,4-D too, should be diluted 50/50 with water. Apply to the outer 2" of the top of the freshly cut stump. Same for Tordon RTU. If they're already cut and dry, you can use triclopyr 3 (ester) on the bark around the stump.
It is triclopyr 4, not 3, mixed with diesel, that you apply to dry stumps. Follow the label.

BUTTERMILK!?
I remember (70 years ago) my Grandfather boring holes in stumps with a wood auger and my Grandmother pouring buttermilk in the holes.
I can't remember now if it was to rot the stump or an offering to the wood nymphs.
Good waste of buttermilk. 😀

Tordon is the magic bullet for killing anything brush or tree like.
It doesn't work fast, it just works completely. The downside is that is water soluible tends to move around in the soil, and is active at really low concentrations,
For vine maple during the growing season, I just use a squirt bottle of Crossbow on the cut stump with results almost as good as Tordon.

Crossbow is similar to Tordon. It contains triclopyr-ester, which is a well known brush killer. This same ingredient is often used in broadleaf turf herbicides, so is not quite so hazardous to trees from root absorption.

Crossbow is similar to Tordon. It contains triclopyr-ester, which is a well known brush killer. This same ingredient is often used in broadleaf turf herbicides, so is not quite so hazardous to trees from root absorption.
Tordon contains 4-Amino-3,5,6-trichloropyridine-2-carboxylic acid as an active ingredient, while Crossbow contains a mixture of herbicides in the phenoxy-acetic acid class herbicides.
Other than they both control broadleaf weeds and brush, there chemical classification groups and chemical structure are different.

Good waste of buttermilk. 😀
Less of a waste that all the chemicals touted today.
Only a waste if it didn't work and was more costly than whatever else was available.
This is what my Grandmother already knew around 1953.

"Cultured Buttermilk ~ Natural cultured buttermilk is also a good source of nitrogen, and it contains probiotics that will help digest the stump. It’s much slower than other nitrogen sources, and you’ll need to dump a bit more buttermilk on the stump every week or two in order to encourage breakdown."

https://practicalselfreliance.com/natural-tree-stump-removal/

Back