How to remove muffler on MS390

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well my warranty is up, so I want to go ahead and set this saw up for muffler mod and richen up the fuel...I'm not sure I know how to get the thing off. The cover...no problem, but the muff itself...who knows. Also what kind of tools would I need? Thanks!
J.D.

You'll need this:

sledge%20hammer.jpg

skwerl said:
A screwdriver and the T-27 Torx wrench that came with your saw.

I don't think so...

Tough to take off the two nuts of the front with a T27...
Just undo the two M5 nuts... it will then pull off.

Mike Maas said:
My answer solves the problem with which fancy little tool to use. Just beat the crap out of it until it comes off, then bolt on the expansion chamber.

NO NO just use the smoke wrench .. then you can get a new pro saw.. :clap:

I thought Stihl used those Torx screws on everything? Serves me right for trying to help someone with a question on a homeowner saw.
:confused:

skwerl said:
I thought Stihl used those Torx screws on everything? Serves me right for trying to help someone with a question on a homeowner saw.

....and the correct answer was Skwerl's favorite food...:cheers:

Lakeside53 said:
I don't think so...

Tough to take off the two nuts of the front with a T27...
Just undo the two M5 nuts... it will then pull off.

Actually, its 3 M5 nuts, not hard at all, and they give you the port size with the indented rectangle on the front of the muffler. Very easy to do.
Andy

sawinredneck said:
Actually, its 3 M5 nuts, not hard at all, and they give you the port size with the indented rectangle on the front of the muffler. Very easy to do.

Andy

Damn, so that's where that pile of nuts on the back of my bench comes from!!!

yes, three nuts...

skwerl said:

On most things, yes, but the cylinder bolts are standard hex, and I saw a Phillips on my 660 the other day! My 056 is full of slotted head screws! :bang: They'll be changed out in short ordrer with the rebuild.

Jeff

fishhuntcutwood said:
On most things, yes, but the cylinder bolts are standard hex, and I saw a Phillips on my 660 the other day! My 056 is full of slotted head screws! :bang: They'll be changed out in short ordrer with the rebuild.

Jeff

Nearly 100% :) The Cylinder head bolts on the Torx equiped saws are also Torx; all others are Hex, unless that is they have studs and nuts (just a couple).

Latest posts

Back