How to remove worm gear from Echo CS-3000?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FergusonTO35

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm presently rebuilding my little Echo CS-3000 and need to remove the oil pump worm gear from the crankshaft so I can change the crankcase seal behind it. The gear is metal and pressed tightly on to the crankshaft. Any good ideas on how to remove it? I tried two prybars but just not comfortable exerting a huge amount of force on it like that. Suggestions appreciated!

Hey guys. I'm presently rebuilding my little Echo CS-3000 and need to remove the oil pump worm gear from the crankshaft so I can change the crankcase seal behind it. The gear is metal and pressed tightly on to the crankshaft. Any good ideas on how to remove it? I tried two prybars but just not comfortable exerting a huge amount of force on it like that. Suggestions appreciated!

I've had luck using two screwdrivers but you've already tried that. There is a worm gear removal/installation tool. Husky has a good one($$$) but you need various inserts to fit differant size worm gear threads. Poulan also has a plastic /fiber one. It only costs a couple dollars but then you still have the diiferant thread/pitch count issue. Also I'm not sure how it works as there is to puller action on it.

I've had luck using two screwdrivers but you've already tried that. There is a worm gear removal/installation tool. Husky has a good one($$$) but you need various inserts to fit differant size worm gear threads. Poulan also has a plastic /fiber one. It only costs a couple dollars but then you still have the diiferant thread/pitch count issue. Also I'm not sure how it works as there is to puller action on it.

Definitely a special tool to remove and install echo worm gears. The gears are hardened steel and have a taper inside so they fit up like a flywheel. Most saws up to the 346 use the same puller.

Thanks guys. I have a little gear puller I will try, and apply a little heat to the gear. If that fails I'll take it to a small engine shop. The poulan worm gear is just a helical shaped piece of thin metal that snaps on to the crankshaft. The tool, which I have, is just a plastic collar that properly locates the gear on the crank when reinstalling.

I found the Echo tool, part number 89770819835. You can get it from several places for $30-40.00. If the little puller doesn't work that's what I will buy.

The puller didn't work and I can't think of any way to get the worm gear off without endangering the pricey crankshaft or taking it to a shop. I found the Echo removal tool and installer from a firm called Farmers Exchange in Washington state for $25.00 and $11.00. They are supposed to work on the CS-450 and smaller saws so I went ahead and ordered them. With three Echos in the stable and probably more down the road I don't think this is the only time I'll use them!

Latest posts

Back