how to safely borecut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvthetrobag

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I never learned how to borecut. How is it safely done and what are some practical applications for it.

Check the chainsaw forum, there is a thread - bore cut kickback - that has a lot of discussion and some very good descriptions.

You really should have someone demonstrate this for you then try it under supervision as it can be tricky at first.

Make sure you fully understand the reactive forces of the saw, and the critical areas of the tip of the bar. Whatever you do, wear PPE and stay out of the kickback zone!!

It is a useful skill to have in your bag of tricks when certain situations require it!

I never learned how to borecut. How is it safely done and what are some practical applications for it.

The only dangerous part is the initial entry into the wood. Make sure you enter with the lower corner of the bar and and then swivel the saw into a straight bore once the tip is buried.

Practical applications.. leaning trees where there is a possibility of barberchair and bucking logs that are under tension.

My G/F and I did a 2 day basic chainsaw course here, and the instructor had MJ doing bore cuts 10 mins after she had first picked up a chainsaw. No big voodoo involved, just watch the start of the cut.

Not something that you need to use every day, but it might save your life on a hazard tree one day ;)

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back