how to shorten saw chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim C

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just purchased a 72 drive tooth chain off ebay and it should of been 70. How do I shorten? I have a motorcycle chain breaker. Will that work? Can I just drive a rivet out on a vise with a hammer and punch? How do I put it back together? Will a shop shorten a saw chain? If so how much does it cost? thanks in advance, Jim

You could do it yourself, but it would be a pain without the proper tools. Sure, any saw shop can shorten it for you. Probably next to nothing. Buy something and ask em' to do it for you.

jp hallman said:
You could do it yourself, but it would be a pain without the proper tools. Sure, any saw shop can shorten it for you. Probably next to nothing. Buy something and ask em' to do it for you.

I had my local Stihl dealer short a chain for me and he only charged me for the replacement link he used. I think it was only 2 or 3 bucks.

That doesn't sound too bad. I have my own breaker and spinner. I'd charge a buck or two if I had a shop. Stop what you're doing and fix a chain while a customer waits. Sounds right.

Toneman said:
I had my local Stihl dealer short a chain for me and he only charged me for the replacement link he used. I think it was only 2 or 3 bucks.
If he charged ya a few bucks for the replacement link he charged ya for breaking the chain as well. Replacement links run anywhere from .13-.40 cents depending on ya dealer. However to get the chain to fit your saw its well worth a few bucks but don't let him fool ya on the link price...

Back