How to start Colorado Blue Spruce from seed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I’ve got some seeds and put them in peat pellets, got sprouts, now have them in some potting soil/perlite mix outside but out of direct sun. They don’t seem to be really growing much/ it’s been a month and they’ve barely grown any at all. Any tips for keeping these little seedlings going?

What temps are you having there? Daytime and nighttime?

It's been a month since germinated?
Assuming they are n pots, I would look to put them where they get some bottom heat, if nights are cool bring them in. I'd also start getting them some direct sunlight for a couple of hours a day gradually increasing.
Really need more info on setup to be more helpful

I’ve got some seeds and put them in peat pellets, got sprouts, now have them in some potting soil/perlite mix outside but out of direct sun. They don’t seem to be really growing much/ it’s been a month and they’ve barely grown any at all. Any tips for keeping these little seedlings going?
Not sure what fertility should be for CBS but you may want to check that out. They probably don't need much but something to get them started.

I wouldn't recommend Colorado Blue Spruce unless you're okay with spraying them top to bottom with fungicide 2-3 times per year in perpetuity, even when they're 60' tall. They get needle-cast disease easier than almost any other spruce, which eventually results in defoliation and secondary coinfections, and eventual death. Norway spruce is a bit more resistant, and white pine is another option. Probably the least trouble-prone evergreen is Green Giant Arborvitae. Even fir trees seem to get needle-cast not quite as severely, although I have seen it on them as well. Not to rain on your parade, but Colorado Blue Spruce may very well go the way of the ash trees, in that none of them will survive without long-term treatment. If you wanted to improve growth rates in your spruce, try Holly Tone fertilizer.

I wouldn't recommend Colorado Blue Spruce unless you're okay with spraying them top to bottom with fungicide 2-3 times per year in perpetuity, even when they're 60' tall. They get needle-cast disease easier than almost any other spruce, which eventually results in defoliation and secondary coinfections, and eventual death. Norway spruce is a bit more resistant, and white pine is another option. Probably the least trouble-prone evergreen is Green Giant Arborvitae. Even fir trees seem to get needle-cast not quite as severely, although I have seen it on them as well. Not to rain on your parade, but Colorado Blue Spruce may very well go the way of the ash trees, in that none of them will survive without long-term treatment. If you wanted to improve growth rates in your spruce, try Holly Tone fertilizer.
Where are you at? Definitely sounds like a regional problem. Incidentally, there is no such tree as a Colorado Blue Spruce. Picea pungens coloratus is the species, some are Blue, others are green, same species. There has been a long term debate on whether the color variation is genetic or due to environmental conditions.

Back