How to tell what CC and size bar for saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L1ability

Reaction score
I dont cut alot of wood, i sometimes get the odd job to take down a tree or two and i have a few small saws. Recently my main 14" Craftsman 2.3 (old poulan rebadge) blew out, great saw too... but i pushed it wayy to hard for about 5 days straight, for a free saw im happy.

A guy i was doing a job for gave me a Mcculloch Pro Mac 355, and 2 Mcculloch Mini Mac 110's. only the one mini mac has a bar and chain.

is the 355 is a decent saw? it says "black and decker" tiny on the label so im assuming the age is 1985-87, also says "U.S.A" so i was hoping its a quality peice. I would like to assume it is 35CC, and the first 2 model numbers before the dash are 12, so would it be a 12" bar? i had intentions of a 16 for it, but it did look kinda small... anyways i just rebuilt it and cleaned up the ports. if its any good ill keep it, if not i could probably sell it for something, what do you guys think?

Thanks

BTW, if i cut more trees i'd invest in a stihl, but those jobs arent common enough :msp_sad:

All the saws you have listed are basically the same saw and 16" would be pushing the maximum ability of those saws, they would be more productive with a 10-14" bar IMO.

If you want a cheap dependable saw you may want to look into one of the box store Poulans, you can pick up a 46cc saw with a 20" bar for $150 at Wal-Mart.

All the saws you have listed are basically the same saw and 16" would be pushing the maximum ability of those saws, they would be more productive with a 10-14" bar IMO.

If you want a cheap dependable saw you may want to look into one of the box store Poulans, you can pick up a 46cc saw with a 20" bar for $150 at Wal-Mart.

Yup. I fully agree with all of that.

bar size

i just baught a j-red 2172 70cc saw with a 20in bar i wouldnt go any bigger than a 16in on a 50cc 18in on a 60 and 20-24 on a 70cc

thy loose to much power after that and kills down productivity. look at the j-red or husky lines they got whatever u need and good service to.:rock:

Interesting calculations above, but I find that the PP5020 really spits some chips buried in oak, with 50 cc and 20" (nominal) bar. "Strato-scavenging" makes for good fuel-mileage, besides much lower emissions.

If you don't like to keep the chain properly razor-like, there are skip-tooth chains readily available.

Back