How to Trim These Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

70t351w

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I dont have pictures of the trees right now. About four years ago dozers came in on this heavily wooded lot and cleared almost every tree (all oaks). The land has several houses now and the trees that were left had been torn up by the dozers during development. The average size tree is 16-18'' in diameter and about 35-40' tall. There are no branches to speek of, none strong enough to tie off on, the dead limbs are on the end of what branches there are and the only growth on the oaks are suckers from the ground to the top. With out pictures I know it may be hard to answer but I will get some pictures. If you have any ideas on trimming these that would be great. A lift would be one way.

Are you asking as a contractor or homeowner? It sounds like extensive construction damage and the trees should be professionally evaluated before attempting to prune. No sense pruning trees that will be dead anyway. Your description of dead tops and small branches from the base on up might be hopeful for some but without roots the trees will not survive. Suggest getting a pro on site to evaluate.

Sounds like there is nothing to trim :laugh:
Spurs would work for climbing to and the normal arguements against spurs may not be important - because there is nothing to trim :laugh:
Pictures would help

I am a neewbie to the arborist way of life. I have been cutting trees for about Five years to get firewood. (Too much work-not enough money). This is a neighborhood where I will most likely be called in to do tree trimming and removal. The trees are so pittiful they should be cut down. I know there might be some hope for some if a guy fertilizes and keeps the pests off.
I will get some pictures but all I have is dial-up. Takes a long time.

Latest posts

Back