How would you deal with these beast rounds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks to me like they had to get them out through a narrow garden gate. Never heard of this species, but I would split them in half with maul/wedges to get them on my splitter.

Shreve Oak is very similar to Coast live oak which is more common. Here's one on my property that looks like it's got "sudden oak death".

IMG_1387.jpg

:agree2::cheers: Noodling is A LOT faster and easier on you all the way around,... If the saw doesn't like it then noodle once, then wedge and sledge until there reduced to a size you feel comfortable working with,...

That worked out pretty well today. I noodled then put the saw aside to cool down. Then I put wedges right in the noodle cut, then cracked off some blocks with the pry bar.
IMG_1380.jpg

This is looking down on the round where the block snapped off.
IMG_1384.jpg

With the view from that particular splitting location I would take the longest method possible. :clap:

We've got some great views but not much level ground. Here's an even better view from the top of the property.

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

That's the Pacific six miles off.

Never tried that style, I'll look for one next time I'm in town. I've got a good shopping list from this thread; bigger saw, bigger hand truck, tongs, hook, explosives, new maul. I'll just tell my wife that's what the experienced arborists suggested.:hmm3grin2orange:

Unfortunately, you will not find one of those in a store. It is a Sotz and I think they have been out of business for 15-20 years. However, there are some knockoffs around such as this one (which actually weighs a pound more than the Sotz).

Mauls005.jpg

Sis by side you can see the minute differences.

Mauls006.jpg

I have one of the original Sotz monster mauls. It has split a heckuva lot of wood. It will wear you out after a while though.

chainsaws126.jpg

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g80nT9bmF-M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g80nT9bmF-M?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I have one of the original Sotz monster mauls. It has split a heckuva lot of wood. It will wear you out after a while though.
If I remember, the original Monster Maul weighed in at 22 or 23 pounds. Mine is the 15 pound version. I think they also made a lighter version as well. I used to have a catalog (it actually looked like a newspaper), but I sent it with the NOS barrel stove kit I sold last year.

If I remember, the original Monster Maul weighed in at 22 or 23 pounds. Mine is the 15 pound version. I think they also made a lighter version as well. I used to have a catalog (it actually looked like a newspaper), but I sent it with the NOS barrel stove kit I sold last year.
Think mine's over 20, i know it feels like a ton after an hour of swinging it.lol

Very nice!

Looks like you done logged the top of your ridge and some of the ones in the first photo. :laugh: Plenty more to cut looking west though...

This area was logged pretty extensively about a hundred years ago, then it was used for cattle until the fifties or sixties. I think the background in that first photo probably was forested at one time. It's all starting to come back now that the cattle are mostly gone. Google earth has an aerial photo of this area from the fifties and it was much more open back then from all the cattle.

The forested area in the second photo has been protected for a pretty long time. Mostly hippies and pot growers lurking in there.

Interesting. I've never seen the inside of the Live Oaks you guys have down there but they do look externally similar to our "Coast Live Oaks" and Shreve Oaks. Sounds like they've got similar splitting characteristics as well.

Interesting. I've never seen the inside of the Live Oaks you guys have down there but they do look externally similar to our "Coast Live Oaks" and Shreve Oaks. Sounds like they've got similar splitting characteristics as well.

Kinda resembles mid-western 'Blackjack' Oak as well. It burns fantastically but splits painfully,...:eek:

That is some seriously ugly lookin' wood for splitting.
I suppose that is what dehydrated Elm would look like.

Screw the maul unless you're one of those exercise loonies, looking to gain an extra bit of Cardio between Triathalons, or know one looking for some interesting "Cross training".

Make some noodles to get them quartered so they can be wrangled onto the splitter without getting a Hernia.

Have you considered milling some of that wood?
I'll bet the figure is outstanding.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

noodle a slab off each side. It'll keep it from rolling off the splitter and help it "pop" open.

On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the hardest to split, Live Oak is a 20.
On the other hand, burn characteristics are also a 20, burns long and hot, with great long lasting coals.

To answer the op.

Fiskars

If its too twisted or is a crotch that won't split it goes into the brush pile. We have way too many tops and available firewood to even mess with anything that takes too much work.

Thats how I deal with them....

Back