How would you like to work on this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crtreedude

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought you might enjoy this tree - pretty old ojoche, by the way, the little critters at the bottom are cows!

TheNeed2.JPG

Freaky tree... you should post that in the SCARY LOOKING TREE thread.

Looks like it'd be a blast to work though.

What's wrong with the moo's? ;)

Believe it or not, those are normal sized cows.

Anyone want to help clean it of epiphytes? Not that it would do much good at this point - the tree is pretty much dead.

This one is not on my property, but at the land of the cousins of my business partners where I fish the Rio Muerte. Strange, that means dead river in English, but it is the best river to fish around.

We have a very live Ojoche on our finca (farm) that is almost as big - about 8 feet in diameter trunk and about 200 feet tall, absolutely gorgeous. Thankfully, not many epiphytes on it that have to be cleaned. I swear, I get a cold spot in my stomache just thinking of going up that tree. The first limb has got to be about 150 feet up! :eek: I don't have much experience climbing trees yet and I sure don't want to start on that monster.

I am not sure, but I think this tree is somewhere between 100 to 150 years old - trees aren't very old usually in the tropics, they grow big, and then are pulled over by the vines and epiphytes.

I have some surá on the property that are only about 20 years old that are about 100 feet tall and 2 feet in diameter. Surá is used for making roof beams in houses, I think it is as hard as oak.

Okay, I am sure of the surá, because we grow it.

Surá = terminalia oblonga, specific weight 0.65

Ojoche = Brosiminm spp. (Alicastrum group), I think this is correct. I am not growing though it is a very good wood for wood sculpture and doors I am told. It may be on a list for the future, almost certainly.

By the way, I was searching for information on the Ojoche tree and found an article about with a picture in it, that I forgot about.

http://www.ecoworld.org/Trees/articles/articles2.cfm?TID=350

It is the same tree with a rather handsome guy standing at the bottom of it, if I do say so myself. ;-)

I'm trying to think of a good tool to use to rid the limbs of the epiphytes. The bromeliads, you can just give those a boot, but the mosses, and orchids hold on much more tenaciously. Prolly not many orchids as they're not very fond of full sun. Popping off bromeliads, from a distance, would be like aerial billiards with a 3-meter cue.

Tool # 1 might work; smaller and lighter than a hard-toothed garden rake. But you've goitta be right there in the vicinity. Tool # 2 would be a bad choice, likely scraping of cambial layer.

I would keep tool #1 lanyarded to myself, but would count on doing most of the removal with my feet, and assistance from the Silky saw tip. I could see some utility in a Hyuachi pole saw, but again, when you do reaches with a sharp tool to remove bio-debris from the topside of limbs, there's the chance of scarring them up accidentally.

Another 'reach' tool might be a wire-raiser on three or four pole sections. Takes some skill to maneuver that setup while on rope and you wouldn't be able to 'scrub' like if you were right there on top of it, but you could yank off the worst and give yourself a 3 or 4 meter reach advantage.

Either way, limb-walking is the only way out there. My limb walking is out over roofs, power lines, porches, decks, awnings. I've honestly never had cattle as one of my obstacles. Podemos a mover las vacas alla, por favor?

By the way, on your Spanish,

Podemos a mover las vacas alla, por favor?

Should be:

Si se puedan mover las vacas alla, por favor?

Unless you are planning on helping move them yourself, and then it would be:

Podemos mover las vacas alla, por favor?

The a is not necessary, it is part of mover, which is the infinitive, to move.

I feel so thrilled :D , I was able to explain something in Spanish - around here I sound like a 2 year old (on good days)

My reading and writing is much better.

Fred

Those cows sure look like goats on this PC. Even if so, thats an impressive hunk o tree there. Is that wood any good for anything or is it diseased? Looks like it would make some nice sawlogs!

Those cows are not goats, they are pretty large, normal size cows, say about 1,000 lbs each. So, that will give you an idea of the size of that tree.

Not sure if the trees is still worth anything - possible since it is still standing some of the wood will be good. Ojoche is very good wood for doors and such.

Sorry, guess I need a new monitor, new glasses, and less imagination. It would be awesome to stand next to that thing and be there! Nice pic!

Actually, I have to admit, I went back to the original (2 megapixel) photo to be sure. The ones that look like goats are brahmas, horns and all.

Yeah, it is pretty incredible to see them. When we used to live in NJ and used to visit the plantation, when we would go back to USA, all the trees looked like shrubs, even the oaks. The difference between a 60 foot oak and a 200 foot ojoche is incredible.

Latest posts

Back