How's your "seasoning" season going?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterc38

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This year we have had hot and dry weather here compared to last summer when it seemed as though it rained 9 out of 10 days. I have an excellent location to season my wood that is wide open to the sun and wind but last year was tough. This year has been the complete opposite.

Here are some of my stacks that have been sitting about 14-15 months with 2+ more months to go before heating season typically starts.

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

Sure looks great to me

Lotsa checking and bark separation

Mucho BTUs for You

Very much the same thing for us this year & last. I intend to put up a large wood shed for the seasoned wood hoping to keep 2 years worth under cover so another wet year like last yr. won't matter as much.

My seasoning season is going so well, that for the first time this year I've been slightly paranoid about a woodpile arsonist. Be it a true villain, a cigarette tossed, or a disturbed child that would likely have red hair and a bowl haircut playing with matches. My wood pile is so dry, even with 2.5 months to go, that I fear for my safety.:mad:

greetings gang -

i'm new to this site. stumbled upon it while researching splitters.
i like the way this group banters back and forth without the flaming so common on other blogs.

so i look at these photos (i see a fair bit of black locust in there?) and i realize that the stuff i wanna burn this fall is sorely unseasoned. i have about 2-3 cords of primo locust and hard maple real seasoned but i've got this other stuff that i'm goose-ing along and hoping it'll be ready this season.

i'm pretty fortunate in that i have a logging yard not too far down the road and i asked the proprietor if he'd be willing to part with the cut-offs from his hardwood logging/distributing yard. he said i could have all i need for personal use for free so me and my wife go over there on sunday evenings and load up the pickup with killer rounds of primo hardwood. some of these rounds are 2-3 feet or more across and we enjoy deadlifting those big'uns onto the tailgate together. a few truckloads and the cords start to add up. BTW we burn about 6 cords per year in the house and about 1-2 in my wife's studio. haven't turned on the electric heat since we moved in. all free, minus our time.

next thing i need to sort out is a pipeline to get the new split stuff into the BACK of the wood crib, and cycle it thru efficiently, so seasoned stuff doesn't get stuck in the back. i've got white oak, hickory, locust, cherry and hard maple cooking right now. best quality wood pile i've had in 30+ years of burning.

later fellas

Welcome aboard, Rep Sent!

:cheers:

I'd say not as good as last year. Last year we were dry through the spring and summer with all the rain to the south and east. This year we were very wet from April through June, even the local farmers were complaining about getting their crops in because it was so wet. I'm in good shape as I have 4 plus cords left over from last year so now 2 summers old plus the 1 plus cord of beech, half a cord of ash, and three of silver maple I split in March/April are just starting to check.

My seasoning season is going so well, that for the first time this year I've been slightly paranoid about a woodpile arsonist. Be it a true villain, a cigarette tossed, or a disturbed child that would likely have red hair and a bowl haircut playing with matches. My wood pile is so dry, even with 2.5 months to go, that I fear for my safety.:mad:

Last I knew you were crying about your neighbor watering it for you.

Been fairly wet & humid here, but I got about 8 cord under cover & decent enough to burn. I'm hoping to put up another 3-4 of standing dead, then I'll lay into some more live trees that need to come down for next year. Only got about 4 cord of greener stuff for 2011-2012, but we got time on that yet. Welcome to A S, enjoy the place. A C

Last year my wood was not seasoned properly-mainly because I didn't split it soon enough due to being so busy all the time. I just pulled the trigger on a Powerhorse 13 ton splitter and yesterday split about 3/4 cord of pine-first use. It was pretty wet even though the trees were cut down a year ago. Hope it dries out well enough this year.

Ive got enough on hand for the winter,but its not in the best shape.We had a real wet summer last year,a wetter winter,and this summer has been nothing but humid.Not a lot of rain, but the humidity is a killer.Im hoping that my stock of oak and hickory will be good for this winter,but I have seen better years.

As far as for next winter,who knows.Almost every customer that I have done work for has elected to keep their wood for their own use,so I may be forced into scrounging myself for next winters wood.

Last I knew you were crying about your neighbor watering it for you.

A neighbor's sprinkler was hitting my woodpile a couple months back. When I noticed this I laughed aloud at the absurdity, then posted it on this website for others to get a kick out of. I kept an eye on the situation and luckily it was a one time mistake on their part. With this "crying" accusation, you're clearly projecting your masculine inadequacy onto me in a transparent yet failed effort to elevate yourself.

Unusually wet and humid summer here in southern MN. Unshaded areas of lawn still green - usually dried up and brown by now, pond has not needed filling all summer (normally once a week). Last two weeks have seen dewpoints in the mid 70's and heat indexes over 100F (plenty hot but not much drying going on.
The 4.5cords I've got in the shed is plenty dry, no worries about the wood supply :)

I've been slackin.. I have a feeling I'll be burning some green wood next spring. :cry: I thought I was doing good last year with 9-10 cord packed away. Little did I realize with the wife home with the baby how much more wood we'd go through. I might have 3 left the rest will be greenish. Ohwell what can you do

my wood is ALOT lighter in weight than it was back in march when I stacked it. lots of bark removal and the wood is most definitely lighter in color because of sun. by october it should be perfect:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back