Huge Crowds @ Boonville 08'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuttinscott

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well 166 and I are back from the 08' NYS Woodsman Field days @ Boonville N.Y.

Saw lots of AS members there and I wish I would of had more time :( to converse with all that stopped by.. They had record crowds this year and people were buying. Hopefully this is a good sign for NY economy. I barely had time to wander the grounds myself lol Steve came out sat am to lend a hand in out booth. The Booth was manned by my distributor API from Albany and myself and 2 cny dealers did the demoing and selling. The other dealers were Dan Shaver from near Osewgo NY and Scott Miller from Near Lowville NY

I'm sorry for some of the API demo saws not being sharp and up to tune friday and early saturday I did a bunch if filing sat noon and after that those da#n .325" 33SL chains that were on the API PS460, PS510, and PS5100 cut alot better. I switched one of the PS5100's out of 33SL into some 72V and that made a huge difference. I read that some were disappointed we did not spend alot of time with PS341's and PS401's thats because they are basically sold out! the PS350 and PS420 are in containers and headed to a US Port and dealers should have them in 3 to 4 weeks tops.

Alot of people got a chance to run my EHP7900 milling saw and were very impressed with its power I also had my EHP681 in the Solo booth next door and it turned many heads as well. Dan and I set both up sat am with his square ground and a 8 pin and did comparisons in a 18" hard maple and every time the 7900 came out on top. I know some will argue this but it was true. I think in softer smaller wood the 681 might have done better?

Steve is downloading some pics and vids and in the next day or two will have alot of them here for viewing.

I got a chance to do some ripping with my 72" Sachs-Dolmar 166 in a 5' length log made LOADS of curly fries.........

Also in the Demo tent we had stock MS460, 385xp, and a 681 for comparison and the 385 got the most runs of the 3 saws. Today we bought a 2153 to see what the hype was all about? truthfully first impressions from all that ran it were not good. Overall looks.... well when you turn it upside down and look at the underside it seems to have flaws in the mag side casing??? are they all like this or just mine? The power did not feel great? Granted it still had the CAT installed I would of swapped it out but johnie is still put together with 4mm allen fasteners and all I had with me was T27 torx LOL. Maybe someday they someday they will learn to standardize to the T27 like Dolmar and Stihl LOL.

OK This is probably long enough to put some to sleep LOL so thank's to EVERYONE that Stopped by to try some new Dolmars or to just say hi.

PS the lucky winner of the PS5100 doorprize was from Remsen, NY

Thank You

Scott

Last edited:
Some pics

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I checked in briefly with you guys, you did a nice job with the displays and demo's!! Looked pretty hectic near the demo's so I just checked a couple saws out and moved on. Maybe next time I will have time to demo one, as of now Ive never run a dolmar but would like to for a comparison to our fleet of husqvarna's, sthil's, and johnsered's. Next time!!

Scott, it was nice meeting you and Steve, and Bob (spike60). Also the API & DOLMAR guys, and it looked like you all were doing a great job, and lots of interest in DOLMAR.
There was just too much to see and do, the show was a lot bigger than I had imagined! We watched the competitions most of the afternoon.
I have a couple pics I'll post later on...
Kyle

I was there Saturday, kept meaning to introduce myself, but every time I walked by you guys were busy busy busy. Definitely huge crowds, at times it was hard to even walk around the grandstands, and I saw a lot of people walking out with new saws, definitely a lot of money spent there this year. Pretty much every processor was sold on Saturday, some of them well over $100K!!! Lots of saws sold, a lot of chain, bars, OWB and Furnaces, Stoves, and PPE. I swear half the stuff I looked at had a sold sign on it already.

I grabbed a few lengths of chain, a bunch of wedges, some calenders, and some decent clothes while I was there, everything was on sale for a pretty good price!

Today we bought a 2153 to see what the hype was all about? truthfully first impressions from all that ran it were not good. Overall looks.... well when you turn it upside down and look at the underside it seems to have flaws in the mag side casing??? are they all like this or just mine? The power did not feel great? Granted it still had the CAT installed I would of swapped it out but johnie is still put together with 4mm allen fasteners and all I had with me was T27 torx LOL.

Wow...and here I wasn't expecting you to run down other manufacturer's equipment. (Pull this leg and it plays Jingle Bells...)

So let me get this straight...you took a 2153 straight out of the box with no break-in time, left the cat muffler on, and the power "did not feel great?"

Did you even bother to take the safety chain off?

Just about everyone on here who's run one loves it (once the cat is off) except for you, and strangely enough you don't sell it...hmmmmm...

Wow...and here I wasn't expecting you to run down other manufacturer's equipment. (Pull this leg and it plays Jingle Bells...)

So let me get this straight...you took a 2153 straight out of the box with no break-in time, left the cat muffler on, and the power "did not feel great?"

Just about everyone on here who's run one loves it (once the cat is off) except for you, and strangely enough you don't sell it...hmmmmm...

The NE346 my dealer has was not that impressive and its been a demo since he could first get one......He will not take the cat off....I'd love to try the none cat and guess I'll just have to wait till I can afford one.....The cats seem to be the trouble on all the brands that use them...Damn EPA!!

I bought it Power Head Only and it had a .325" rim so I installed a Prolite 18" and 20LP 72 driver chain. I would have installed the NON CAT muffler if I had the tools with me but all I had was a T27. As far as feel it felt VERY LOOSE in the AV dept.

And as far as running down jonnie? Hey my cash is as green as anyone else's and that makes me a joe consumer and gives me the right to my own opinion

Scott

Last edited:
why should the consumer have to modify

The saw is shipped as intended to be operated.My dolmar 5100 has not been altered . They sell the saws for the consumer to use as is.. If it is not impressive stock, then to me why bother to spend more money to make a weak saw stronger?
I did not hear the song.

The saw is shipped as intended to be operated.My dolmar 5100 has not been altered . They sell the saws for the consumer to use as is.. If it is not impressive stock, then to me why bother to spend more money to make a weak saw stronger?
I did not hear the song.

Some have to spend 200+ to have there saws ported to run stronger..........My 5100's ran nice right out of the box.....

Scott are there going to be none cat mufflers for the 420's

Last edited:
Some have to spend 200+ to have there saws ported to run stronger..........My 5100's ran nice right out of the box.....

Scott are there going to be none cat mufflers for the 420's

The PS350's and PS420's will come from factory with a CAT. I already have the non cat mufflers in stock although I dont know if ill need them it looks like it might be a non welded/crimped muffler and it might be a easy muff to gut

Scott

The PS350's and PS420's will come from factory with a CAT. I already have the non cat mufflers in stock although I dont know if ill need them it looks like it might be a non welded/crimped muffler and it might be a easy muff to gut

Scott

That sure would be nice.............

I guess I'll have to wait till my dealer has a demo for me..........:cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:
I would have loved to been there, tough to make a 3000 mile drive for a show though ya know. I recognized a few folks in the pics

Did you get any bikesaw pics?

I would have loved to been there, tough to make a 3000 mile drive for a show though ya know. I recognized a few folks in the pics

Did you get any bikesaw pics?

I got some, and some vids, too. This evening...I will post them. Unfortunately my camera was accidently on a lower-quality video mode...and I didn't realize it. So they're not as clear as they could be...I'm still kicking myself about it.

I did not hear the song.

1. Mine came from the dealer with no cat, at no extra cost to me, so has mine been "altered?"
  2. Virtually any saw needs a break-in time before it develops its best power. It's dishonest for a dealer to demo one saw against another with one at a disadvantage like that.
  3. How many "consumers" are buying $500 saws in the 50cc range? Anyone paying that kind of money for a 50cc saw will glady pay the 6% muffler tax.
  4. Based on the number of other posts that have said the same thing, I'm not the only one here that thinks it's bad form for a sponsor, who presumably benefits from his relationship with this forum, to badmouth the products sold by other sponsors.

1. Mine came from the dealer with no cat, at no extra cost to me, so has mine been "altered?"
  2. Virtually any saw needs a break-in time before it develops its best power. It's dishonest for a dealer to demo one saw against another with one at a disadvantage like that.
  3. How many "consumers" are buying $500 saws in the 50cc range? Anyone paying that kind of money for a 50cc saw will glady pay the 6% muffler tax.
  4. Based on the number of other posts that have said the same thing, I'm not the only one here that thinks it's bad form for a sponsor, who presumably benefits from his relationship with this forum, to badmouth the products sold by other sponsors.

I had a FRESH out of the box PS5100 wearing 3/8" x 20" and dragging 72V 72 driver chain and it was bone stock out of the box no carb adjustments made either and it SMOKED the 2153

Scott

I had a FRESH out of the box PS5100 wearing 3/8" x 20" and dragging 72V 72 driver chain and it was bone stock out of the box no carb adjustments made either and it SMOKED the 2153

:deadhorse: :popcorn: :laugh:

Alright guys, quit :deadhorse: . We're here to talk about Boonville, not saws.

So who saw the Lumberjill competition? I ended up getting called back to the cabin early, to play some poker with the girlfriend if you know what I mean :biggrinbounce2: . I left right after the first heat of the underhand chop. Who ended up being the winner?

Back