Huge trunks in front yards...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've seen several enormous tree trunks in people's yards, where it seems the tree guy has taken away anything that could be fit into his chipper and nothing else. Imagine 4' wide, 15' tall trunks.

Was wondering why they leave them there, and how much $$$ I could offer to remove the buggers. Seems like a big job but with a decent saw could be done in a day, cut up and trailered away, assuming there are no metal bars or fence posts buried inside.

Anyone experienced this kind of work?

Dean

DeanBrown3D said:
I've seen several enormous tree trunks in people's yards, where it seems the tree guy has taken away anything that could be fit into his chipper and nothing else. Imagine 4' wide, 15' tall trunks.

Was wondering why they leave them there, and how much $$$ I could offer to remove the buggers. Seems like a big job but with a decent saw could be done in a day, cut up and trailered away, assuming there are no metal bars or fence posts buried inside.

Anyone experienced this kind of work?

Dean
we leave two bids especially when concrete or junk is in them every body likes to save... do some door knocking and extra chains and your golden

Ok, what would be a typical cheapish price for such a removal if I wanted to knock on a door? Picture a trunk 4-5' wide and 15' tall, possibly with the stated articles burried within? $1K?

I dunno, if I told the wife I could get 1K for a days work on a weekend, she'd kick me out of the house first thing saturday morning.

I could winch that log up onto my trailer and run it home easily enough. Remember that would be cash in hand for me.

What about your equipment costs?

I do pricing for a consulting firm in a different field. You wouldn't believe what a difference it makes when you account for your equipment costs. For example, this week I did a quick "sanity check" for one of our managers on a project we were doing. He wanted to make a small change on staffing and needed to know how it would affect his profit margin. If I account for the equipment, he's running 3% gross margin. If I pretend the equipment is free, he's running 40% on that same project.

Not accounting correctly for equipment costs sinks a lot of small businesses. They think they are making a good profit, and then something has to be replaced and "suddenly" they are in the red.

Well, there was nothing sudden about it. They were incurring those costs all along, but didn't realize it.

Remember, it's not just BUYING the equipment that costs money, it's fueling it AND replacing it someday.

I have the trailer w/winch and vehicle to remove the stuff, I do that quite a lot. I also have a 460, which probably would not be up to the job. But if I could pay for a 660 out of once tree, and make no other profit, I'd be ok with that.

DeanBrown3D said:
Ok, what would be a typical cheapish price for such a removal if I wanted to knock on a door? Picture a trunk 4-5' wide and 15' tall, possibly with the stated articles burried within? $1K?
your hourly plus time, to haul, chain charge, if needed, sell it and post

If I were closer and the log was in decent shape, I would remove it for free and mill it. I hate to be cliche' but one man's trash is another man's treasure.

You are looking at 180 cubic feet. A normal weight of a cubic foot of green wood is about 50-60 ponds per cubic foot. You are looking at 9000 to 11000 ponds of waste.

a 2 foot thick slice will weigh just over 1000 pounds.

Thats a lot of wrestling around for $1000

Another Option

I saw this not too long ago and it seems like a pretty good idea...

The stumps were cut to about 3' tall and then bored out in the center to make into planters. They drilled a couple of holes in the side for drainage, planted some ivy and voila... a really cool planter. They have several through-out their property that already have blooming vines on them and they look great. Since there aren't any other trees or structures nearby, the vines remain pretty much local to the "stump planter"

Latest posts

Back