Huge willow limb over house, ISA OK'ed but still nervous

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zapblam

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Very mature willow tree. 9 foot main trunk circumference at chest height. Tree was here long before house (1982) as remembered by towners. We bought 2 years ago.

Tree was inspected by a ISA this spring before foliage. Definite pruning required. Tree given great report including health of the limb in question. I am still leaning towards getting it removed, will save up for that over the summer. As well as a pro pruning. Getting a second opinion from a very reputable tree surgeon.

What do you guys think of this limb? Is my instinct to remove it correct or am I to trust the expert. 25" circumference at 1ft from its collar or big ass burl. NO sign of stress or damage. Barely moves in high winds and does not hold winter snow. It extends way over the roof of the house and being a self pruning willow shoots new growth at an amazing rate.

Gorgeous tree making a nice center piece to the yard, a lot of work though after every high wind. I am ok with that price though as long as house is safe. Some days looks like a bomb went off in the tree, twigs everywhere lol.

20120622TheBigWillow11.jpg

20120622TheBigWillow1.jpg

Being a Willow & knowing what I know with 28yrs experience in the tree care industry. There would be no heavy willow tree parts hanging anywhere close to my roof.

I am no tree pro but I would have it removed, I see willows dropping big limbs all of the time.

Got a tree surgeon coming to consult a good trim and remove the ominous limb. Gotta save up $$$ though. Heard it was best to wait till the winter for the major stress cuts.

Back