Humongous tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gonna be a 'fun' project. This is an ancient Willow that is causing the farmer problems by dropping trash in his field. There are 3 others around 30-36" that he wants out of there but they are basic fall and cut up with no major problems. Fortunately there is nothing that I have to worry about hitting with any of the trees.

This one is over 4ft DBH (measured circumference and divided by Pi) by a bit and my longest bar is 24".

Pic is from the West side That is my maul sticking in the side of it.

001.jpg

The pic is deceptive in that it looks like it leans to the left. It does but straightens up just above the top of the pic and the lean is directly toward the camera. Lean is only enough to ensure that is the direction it will go, nothing severe.

Another shot from about the same location.

010-1.jpg

This is the North side

That crotch is right at head height and the 4' + was measured just above it.

008-1.jpg

My plan is to remove that stem going out to the left (guestimated at about 28" diameter) by cutting down through the 'seam', notch, and bore in for the back cut at about waste height.

Haven't investigated the West face much but from the pic it looks like I will have to remove that stem going out to the right also before tackling the main stem.

Main stem will have to be done from both sides. I may be able to borrow an 056 with 36" bar but not counting on it. Plan is usual notch about 1/4-1/3 of diameter and if the bar doesn't reach the full bit, use my Husky 51 w/16" bar to finish the cut in the middle uncut portion going directly in (much like a bore).

Then the back cut is the puzzle. Tending toward bore cutting it and hope I get the cuts lined up. Will have the problem of the middle uncut portion.

Bore cut straight in again? Bore cut straight in with the 24" bar before beginning the back cut?

Main problem is the bar not reaching all the way even going from both sides aggravated by the fact that most willows that size are rotten at the base with just a ring of good wood around it. No way to tell how bad they are until after they hit the ground...well, the chips do tell the story but don't tell how much good wood there is.

Harry K

I would do it this way

Take off the side limb first. Then make my notch. That way you will be able to see what kind of holding wood you have . Then I would make my awkward side bore first. Then do the other. But on my bore cuts. Leave some trigger wood on the back. Get stood up then knock in a couple of plastic wedges.next cut the trigger and run away.
Oh I think you will need a rake.. to clean up the massive amount of limbs aye?

bore cut

Harry after you notch it , go straight in the center and cut as far back as you can then work your saw to each side to the left and the right still in the center of the notch making sure not to get too close to the henge since you can get that from the sides . After working out the whole center go to the sides and cut each side . You should leave about six inches for the back cut . When you get both sides cut and cut the back cut last it should be a easy fell .

My opinion .

Michael

Harry after you notch it , go straight in the center and cut as far back as you can then work your saw to each side to the left and the right still in the center of the notch making sure not to get too close to the henge since you can get that from the sides . After working out the whole center go to the sides and cut each side . You should leave about six inches for the back cut . When you get both sides cut and cut the back cut last it should be a easy fell .

My opinion .

Michael

Excellent strategy providing the tree has good wood and is not doatey. Otherwise it could fall on the saw and the operator. But if it is solid. By all means plunge the saw into the bottom of the notch and sweep out the heart.

I would definitely drop those big limbs/branches separately first. And then I think I would come up to where the tree straightens out and make my regular fall cuts there.....no 'bores' or other funky stuff necessary.

But that's just how I would do it.

Man, that would be a good-sized charge to clean it off the stump. Probably break windows for quite a distance.

And it would be directions, plural!

Just be extra wary, willow sucks for stem strength, I always assume that it wants to fall on me.

I've been cutting willows like that the last few years. I had to get my buddy to come and cut the stumps down, because they were just huge. Usually had 4 trees growing out of 1 stump. He came with a 3 foot bar on a Saw that he usus in his tree cutting business and he had to go all the way around to cut it off! :greenchainsaw:

Why are so many of you guys so hell bent on bore cuts? Looks funny, bore cut! Oh that one, bore it! Oh it's got side lean, better bore it!!!!!!

i'd drop as many branches as i could first...before dropping any limbs.

removing branches reduces the chance of those larger limbs bouncing back at you.

Lousy Firewood

I dropped a smaller willow tree about 30 years ago after I told the neighbor who wanted it cut down that I would do it for free, just for the firewood. He quickly agreed.

That turned out to be a mistake. Wiilow is heavy when you cut it green because the tree drinks like a fish. However, when it dries out, it's about the same density as balsa wood--even lighter than cottonwood and about like popcorn. So much for "free" firewood. You live and learn.

This job'll be interesting until it's all on the ground. Then, boy what a mess to clean up - Like wood doctor said, willows about as good as balsa for heat, dry leaves might be better. If you pile it on the ground, it'll send out roots and start growing again.

I would check into renting a chainsaw with a longer bar too... 24" can cut 4' but the is a lot of cutting. 28-32" Bar would be a lot more reassuing in getting all the way through on a 2 sided cut at 4'.:greenchainsaw:

IIRC, Most of his wood in the pile is Willow. Unfortunately for him they don't have the hardwoods in his area like I do here in the midwest. (burning some burr oak, honeylocust and red elm assortment right now.)

Don

Latest posts

Back