Humongous tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do agree with willow sucks for fire wood !

I would not add it to that nice pile you have Harry !

Boring cuts: I hardly ever use them but this looks like the place for it to me.

Ah, but that 'nice pile' is all Willow except for 10 cord locust hidign behind it.
The pile has also shrunk by almost half now, my use and selling/trading some.

Willow as firewood _is_ poor but it does heat a house on the 'cheap', been doing it for 30 years now. Yep, burn a lot of it but the work making it is what keeps me active in my senior years.

Good points made seveeral times. I have even considered 'thinning' the stem before beginning my falling cuts by slicing slabs off two of the sides. AS someone said, the wedge will tell the story of how good the wood is.

I will take some progress shots as I go but the job won't start until about the middle of summer. Have to wait for the bottom to dry enough to get my rig in there.

Harry K

I would check into renting a chainsaw with a longer bar too... 24" can cut 4' but the is a lot of cutting. 28-32" Bar would be a lot more reassuing in getting all the way through on a 2 sided cut at 4'.:greenchainsaw:

Already done. Longest I could find was 24". Neighbor has that 056/36" (he says) but I have my doubts about using a borrowed saw.

Harry K

Harry, you could always just buy a longer bar & chain, when you get her done, sell them on ebay - Probably get most of your money back. I bought a 28" for my 041 years ago for one big job, since then I've used it several more times. It sure makes life easier having the right tool.

Harry, you could always just buy a longer bar & chain, when you get her done, sell them on ebay - Probably get most of your money back. I bought a 28" for my 041 years ago for one big job, since then I've used it several more times. It sure makes life easier having the right tool.

Afraid that is no longer in play. My 041 died and I sold it off. Current 'big' saw is MS310 which is maxed out with a 25' full skip chain.

Harry K

This is a fine example of why you need to be on the 3, 4, 5, or 10 chainsaw plan.

Well I was on a 3 saw plan up until the 41 died last spring :). Went shopping for something 'big' to back up the 310. Anything I wanted was a bit steep in price for the little use I would give it. Making do with a "25" bar and skip tooth chain for the 310 currently. Of course I always eyeball the used saws when I am in a shop.

I wonder why Stihl calls that a 25" bar? My 24" chains from the 041 fit that 25" bar perfectly it looks like. At least the loops match each othe perfectly.

Harry K

Back