huskavarnas 345 vs stihl 250c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
easy start??

I have a theory that says that if you can't start it, you can't run it. Period.
This means that I could take my 76 year old father out cutting. There is no way he would even try starting the 046, The little Echo is a different matter. If you do not posess the strength and control to start it, then you should not even be running it.

I agree that "easy start" is a clever fix for a non-existant problem. I do not recall the brand, and it has been many years but there actually was a chainsaw that had electric start. You could not beat that for cool, but I would hardly want to lug around even a small battery plus the motor and extra crap that makes it all work!

-Pat

Watch out for your toes!

TimberPig said:
As to your problem, is it both shoulders? Because if the saw is set on the ground, you can safely pull with either arm to start it and avoid having to use the bad side if you only have one shoulder problem.

I am right handed and usually start a cold saw on the ground with my right arm and with my right foot stuck through the handle. As you will all know, when you do this you have the body of the saw between your left foot and the chain.

One time I had a problem with my elbow and I moved round to the other side of the saw to start it with my left arm, sticking my left foot throuth the handle. Be warned ... when you do this please notice how close the big toe on your right foot is to the chain. I was wearing sneakers that day and nearly did myself an injury.

scotchguy said:
I am right handed and usually start a cold saw on the ground with my right arm and with my right foot stuck through the handle. As you will all know, when you do this you have the body of the saw between your left foot and the chain.

One time I had a problem with my elbow and I moved round to the other side of the saw to start it with my left arm, sticking my left foot throuth the handle. Be warned ... when you do this please notice how close the big toe on your right foot is to the chain. I was wearing sneakers that day and nearly did myself an injury.

Try angling the saw away from you so your foot isn't under the bar and chain. Then your foot is in no danger. Stick your right foot in the rear handle, your left foot behind the handle, and hole the front handle with your right hand, then pull with your left. Running a saw in sneakers is a dangerous practice as there is nothing to protect your feet.

Back