husky 141

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's pretty easy and cheap to put a 141 muffler and shield on a 142, and it makes good power then. Mine only cost $150 new.

Cliff - don't know why you had such a different experience, perhaps they had some trouble with some of the 141s. Mine's a pleasure to run, partly because it always works.

Yep, the issue with the US 142s was a very restricted muffler, as far as I know. They performed the same as the 141 elsewhere. The 240 is a different story, and not a good one.....

idk im not happy with this saw at all you pull and pull to git it started. now thats its atleast running, it just dont seem like the carb wants to tune in right. just wants to run wide open.... i know a couple people that have one and love it for quick cut work of down trees or somthing on your drive way.. or trim work around the property for shooting lanes and stuff. but man by the time its started your about half outta energy. id be better off luggin round the 72... or that old hand down homelight, it atleast fires on the second pull. you just cant hear anything after cuttin one billet. lol i hate to take it to saw shop when i know over time i can figure it out. but im sick of messin with it

"Cliff - don't know why you had such a different experience, perhaps they had some trouble with some of the 141s. Mine's a pleasure to run, partly because it always works."

A thread ran on them a few years ago, and there were a few posts about carburetor issues.

I can tell you this for certain........the one I bought new was a POS, it had multiple issues as mentioned above. My neighbor absolutely HATED the one he bought at Lowe's. It shared similiar symptoms as the one I owned, very difficult to start was one of them. I have a nearly new one in the shop, sent here for free. It's owner got sick and tired of pissing around with it. It was unreliable and hard to start, well, got to a point where it wouldn't start at all. I checked it our briefly when it first arrived, everything is fine except it has a very weak spark. I'm not putting any time or funds in it.....does anyone out there need a free 141 parts saw?...Cliff

"Cliff - don't know why you had such a different experience, perhaps they had some trouble with some of the 141s. Mine's a pleasure to run, partly because it always works."

A thread ran on them a few years ago, and there were a few posts about carburetor issues.

I can tell you this for certain........the one I bought new was a POS, it had multiple issues as mentioned above. My neighbor absolutely HATED the one he bought at Lowe's. It shared similiar symptoms as the one I owned, very difficult to start was one of them. I have a nearly new one in the shop, sent here for free. It's owner got sick and tired of pissing around with it. It was unreliable and hard to start, well, got to a point where it wouldn't start at all. I checked it our briefly when it first arrived, everything is fine except it has a very weak spark. I'm not putting any time or funds in it.....does anyone out there need a free 141 parts saw?...Cliff

Yes, I sure could, private message sent.

Yes, I sure could, private message sent.
Oh, you dog - beat me to it! See what happens when I sleep in?:msp_biggrin: It's OK, I won that Craftsman saw so I'm going to have a project combining the pieces with my old saw.

Seriously though, I'm perfectly happy to take 141s/142s, or any of these other Poulan made plastic POS saws. They work fine for me. I find them to be useful tools regardless of the bad experiences others have had.

And as for the 142, with a 16" bar it's more than just a limbing saw - I use it on anything within it's range, which is a big portion of what I cut.

Cliff, I find it quite funny that brag about your lack of mechanic skills when it comes to simple 2-strokes of poulan lineage. Maybe you walked under a ladder or a black cat crossed your path before you tried to work on them. Wait, I know, you broke a mirror off your truck that had 330 somewhere in the part number. Never any kind of a specific part failure either, unless I'm mistaken. Weird....:msp_unsure:

:ices_rofl: Seems even newer members catch on to Cliff and his weakness's pretty quick. :laugh:

That saw would have been a perfect and a good runner forever if he wouldn't have ever found out it was made by Poulan.

Here is the muffler mod I did on my 141. It stomped the guts out of a 025 that I had in here.

attachment.php

"Seems even newer members catch on to Cliff and his weakness's pretty quick.
That saw would have been a perfect and a good runner forever if he wouldn't have ever found out it was made by Poulan."

Wow Mark.....still following me all over AS even after all these years just waiting for me to say something negative about a Poulan product. You don't hold a grudge very long, do you? I didn't think I was still on your radar these days.

Keep it up and I'll start bad mouthing those POS 330's again.

Can't wait for you next response....you'll be trying to convince the readers that those re-badged Poulan 141's with a couple of slits in the muffler will stomp the guts out of a Snellerized 346XP!

.....I can feel the love already.......Cliff

I'm not new to saws, but I am a little new to working on them. Every time a 141 come in for work, I hate them.
The ones that come in are beat to crap with simple problems, but need lots of attention.
My lack of experience shows very well with these saws.

I'm not new to saws, but I am a little new to working on them. Every time a 141 come in for work, I hate them.
The ones that come in are beat to crap with simple problems, but need lots of attention.
My lack of experience shows very well with these saws.

No surprise, they are built by Poulan, and not like Swedish Huskys. :givebeer:

"Seems even newer members catch on to Cliff and his weakness's pretty quick.
That saw would have been a perfect and a good runner forever if he wouldn't have ever found out it was made by Poulan."

Wow Mark.....still following me all over AS even after all these years just waiting for me to say something negative about a Poulan product. You don't hold a grudge very long, do you? I didn't think I was still on your radar these days.

Keep it up and I'll start bad mouthing those POS 330's again.

Can't wait for you next response....you'll be trying to convince the readers that those re-badged Poulan 141's with a couple of slits in the muffler will stomp the guts out of a Snellerized 346XP!

.....I can feel the love already.......Cliff

Cliff, dont flatter yourself to think I give a damn about following you around. :laugh:

I think you ought to keep on doing what your doing, your looking silly is pretty amusing to me and to others it seems. :msp_biggrin:

Last edited:
No surprise, they are built by Poulan, and not like Swedish Huskys. :givebeer:

Niko, I disagree to a point. I think there built alot like the Swedish Huskys. There like a smaller version of a 55 if you ask me. Same intake style, choke setup, tank style, air injection, chainbrake etc.

Of course there a consumer saw with a clamshell engine style but that really the main difference. The engine itself seems to be the same as the as the Poulan 2500/2900 though and they are pretty darn good ones.

Don't try to avoid the obvious here Mark. Your opened your BIG mouth first Dude. Pretty damned obvious you are following me around like a scorned little child just waiting for the slightest flaw in my armor to start some miss-guided personal attack. Do you think anybody reading this really gives a sh%?

Those re-badged Poulan's are EXACTLY as I described them, nothing more, nothing less. The 136's and 141's never enjoyed any sort of following like the 55's, and show up ALL over the place really cheap, usually not working well, if at all. We HATE to see them coming here.

A very good friend of mine recently added one to his line-up, got it really cheap, and thought he was buying a "real" Husqvarna. He shows up at his property to help me limb some trees we were taking down. After 20-30 pulls and a few puffs of smoke from the 141, it's tossed aside and replaced with his Echo CS-400, which after sitting for nearly a year, starts on the 3rd pull and runs flawlessly.

BTW, not one word you posted toward me has ANYTHING to add to what's going on with this thread. If you can't say anything nice, best not to say anything at all bro.

Hey, does this mean I'm not going to be on your Christmas list again this year?.....LOL....Cliff

A Husky rep once stated that these saws "are designed by Husky, but adapted to Poulans way of making saws". My statement was based on that statement + what I have observed. :msp_smile:

Last edited:
Don't try to avoid the obvious here Mark. Your opened your BIG mouth first Dude. Pretty damned obvious you are following me around like a scorned little child just waiting for the slightest flaw in my armor to start some miss-guided personal attack. Do you think anybody reading this really gives a sh%?

Those re-badged Poulan's are EXACTLY as I described them, nothing more, nothing less. The 136's and 141's never enjoyed any sort of following like the 55's, and show up ALL over the place really cheap, usually not working well, if at all. We HATE to see them coming here.

A very good friend of mine recently added one to his line-up, got it really cheap, and thought he was buying a "real" Husqvarna. He shows up at his property to help me limb some trees we were taking down. After 20-30 pulls and a few puffs of smoke from the 141, it's tossed aside and replaced with his Echo CS-400, which after sitting for nearly a year, starts on the 3rd pull and runs flawlessly.

BTW, not one word you posted toward me has ANYTHING to add to what's going on with this thread. If you can't say anything nice, best not to say anything at all bro.

Hey, does this mean I'm not going to be on your Christmas list again this year?.....LOL....Cliff

Yep, pretty amusing! Thanks.

A Husky rep once stated that these saws "are designed by Husky, but adapted to Poulans way of making saws". My statement was based on that statement + what I have observed. :msp_smile:

Well if a clamshell way of making them is what there saying then that is correct, but most other stuff on them is more Husky then Poulan to me anyway.

Like I say, I have both the Husky version and the Poulan versions here so I have a first hand look at them.

That's pretty silly. Reminds me of something I read on an automotive forum once where people agreed that putting Japanese spark plugs in German cars (and visa versa) was bad, you could only run spark plugs of the appropriate nationality. As if little pieces of bent metal and ceramic of exactly the same size had any idea where they were from.

The engine in my 142 is clearly very similar to that in my Poulan 2775, only smaller displacement. And that in turn appears to be a Jonsered design. The carb and air filter are also similar. The saddle A/V construction is similar to other saws I've seen. All of it is pretty much like the Stihl MS250 I worked on, same materials and basic layout. These are commodity items and there ain't no magic to where they're made or designed. Husqvarna and Poulan are part of the same company and clearly are sharing designs and parts. Metal and plastic don't know anything about the silly superstitions of men.

That's pretty silly. Reminds me of something I read on an automotive forum once where people agreed that putting Japanese spark plugs in German cars (and visa versa) was bad, you could only run spark plugs of the appropriate nationality. As if little pieces of bent metal and ceramic of exactly the same size had any idea where they were from.

The engine in my 142 is clearly very similar to that in my Poulan 2775, only smaller displacement. And that in turn appears to be a Jonsered design. The carb and air filter are also similar. The saddle A/V construction is similar to other saws I've seen. All of it is pretty much like the Stihl MS250 I worked on, same materials and basic layout. These are commodity items and there ain't no magic to where they're made or designed. Husqvarna and Poulan are part of the same company and clearly are sharing designs and parts. Metal and plastic don't know anything about the silly superstitions of men.

One of the most insightful posts I have read on this forum!!!
That earns you a mega-shot of MOPAREP!!!!!

Anyone who claims to have only had bad experiences with anything wearing the Poulan name REALLY should consider some sort of professional intervention.
As WoodHeatWarrior stated so succinctly...they are only metal and plastic.
If you take the outer shell off, most of the saws in that range are pretty much the same. Given good service and fed properly they are great tools for their intended purpose.

I ported a 142 for a guy I work with who does tree removal as a side job. It runs almost as well as a stock 346 and has a lot less weight. It is his main saw for "in the tree" work.
Starts instantly, idles 'til you shut it off even hanging nose down from a rope, pulls hard and cuts great.
Maybe it would be a POS to him too if he knew it was partially a Poulan!LOL

Mike

I have had both experiences with Poulans. Of different generations of course. One of my uncles had a Wildthing that just stopped working one day and never started again. I had a look at it and could not see anything wrong with it. This saw was well taken care of and not abused. It was used to cut up some spruce dead fall on his property and then cleaned up and put away. My godfather on the other hand had a Counter-Vibe 3700 that was used quite a bit 25 years ago to cut several cords of wood each season for his father. It sat for nearly 20 years before I aquired it. I took it home cleaned it up slapped a new B&C on it and fired it up. It ran beautifully. ModifiedMark owns it now and has MMed it and as far as I know it still runs great. So you just never now. It is the wonderous thing about mass production. This problem happens in all industries no matter what it is. There are people that will not buy a make of truck because the had nothing but trouble with the one they owned, yet you could throw a stone in any irection and hit 10 people that have that very brand of truck or even the exact same truck and would own nothing else. It is just the way it is.

Husqvarna 142

I have a Husky 142e and it has always started easy and runs great when it's not broken down :frown:

I bought it new with a 16" bar and used it to cut up a white oak that was much to big for it , I mean 40 inches
in diameter!! They were already bucked to lengths from 16" to 30" long and still to heavy to load by hand so I had to cut them lengthwise just to load them on the truck, Well it did the job with only the loss of the muffler heat shield(that was just glued on the case ) so I thought!! The next time I tried to use it the oiler didn't work so I took it apart and found the little plastic gear that drives the pump was was stripped , I bought a new oil pump put it on and it worked good for 2 days then no oil again , sure enough stripped the same plastic gear , So while i had it apart I looked at the oil pump cover also plastic ...lol , The crank shaft hole was elongated not round anymore this got me to thinking so I grabbed ahold of the engine and it moves freely within the case, Took it apart further to find that all FOUR of the engine to case mount bolts were broken off!! This lets the engine move around at will and the oil pump is mounted to the case so it keeps chewing up the plastic gear , I got the broken off bolts out and have the new ones to replace them. This is as far as I have gotten at this time.

Does anyone have a Service Manual for a Husky 142e ??? If so please share !! Thank you

l3lue :blob2:

Latest posts

Back