Husky 181 rings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tolman_paul

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone still make the thin 181 rings? I've seen some on flea bay but am leary of the quality.

I knew I should have stayed off this site :msp_razz: but I've been infected with the cad bad and started taking apart the saw to give it a thorough cleaning an inspection. The bar is wallowed out, the sprocket is chewed up, and it appears it could use a new clutch bell and bearing. So I kept tearing it down. I figure while I'm at it might as well replace the crank seals, fuel line and filter and put the rebuilt carb on it that I've misplaced.

I checked the squish and it's 0.055", pulling the base gasket tightens it up to 0.035". I put the jug on my lathe but unfortunately I can't swing the barrel over the cross slide so cutting that extra 0.010" off the base, or 0.030" to use a gasket isn't an option. I widened and smoothed the intake, widened the tranfers and exhaust. Not only have I misplaced the spare rebuilt carb, I also misplaced the degree wheel. I'm thinking about going for 118 deg intake and 154 deg exhaust when I locate the wheel.

With all that work done I figure I might as well slap in a new set of rings as it feels like the compression has dropped a bit over the years.

Latest posts

Back