Husky 181se carb advice needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdawg21

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently came into possession of a 181 se, cylinder looks perfect but obviously has carb issues as it doesnt run quite right, diaphragm looks quite soft and the carb is full of gummy 40 year old garbage. should I go get a carb kit for the questionable governed carb or order a 288 non governed carb which I’ve heard fits onto the 181. Thanks for all your input in advance !

Can the governed carb not be doctored to be non governed, just like the 2100 carbs?
If you were going to order a Husqvarna part original 288 carb- then yep, go for it- but an aftermarket elcheapo- kit the original and eliminate the governor.
I believe you can take a little circle of pop can metal and block the hole under the threaded plug for the governor, but doesn’t help that the diaphragm is pooched on it, and yes I’m planning on ordering an oem Walbro one straight from husky, I don’t mess around with cheap questionable quality carbs… thanks for your input!

I believe you can take a little circle of pop can metal and block the hole under the threaded plug for the governor, but doesn’t help that the diaphragm is pooched on it, and yes I’m planning on ordering an oem Walbro one straight from husky, I don’t mess around with cheap questionable quality carbs… thanks for your input!

Sounds like a good plan and you can fix and kit the old one at your leisure.
My own 288's all have Tillotson carbs on them.

Throttle link on the 288 carb is different as it uses a roller instead of a fixed (bent wire) link: either the throttle arm or the carberetor throttle shaft needs to be exchanged to use a 281/288 carb on a 181. Non-governed carbs were available for the 181...all my dealer literature indicates only the Tillotson carb was used on them.

Throttle link on the 288 carb is different as it uses a roller instead of a fixed (bent wire) link: either the throttle arm or the carberetor throttle shaft needs to be exchanged to use a 281/288 carb on a 181. Non-governed carbs were available for the 181...all my dealer literature indicates only the Tillotson carb was used on them.
I believe you can just take the roller piece off the arm and use the hole for the wire, if not I’ll change the shaft over.
The carb ordered is an oem one but dealer said it was a walbro carb which I didn’t believe either but part number checks out as an oem carb…. Thanks for your imput 👍

Latest posts

Back