Husky 235 - worth fixing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I somehow missed this thread before. Those saws are notorious for air leaks.

Did you fully clean the seals and cylinder base/cap surfaces before applying sealant? There may be another air leak or it may be the seals. Would like to see you get this thing fixed, maybe you could get it repaired and sell it to recoup your $$$

Thank you sir, appreciate the help. The seals and mating surfaces were cleaned before gooping and reassembly.

Another member has expressed an interest in this saw, so I'm passing it along. The time involved is at least as much of a concern as the $$$, and I'm not willing to burn any more of either on this saw, only to still have a known faulty saw when it's all done. Would rather put that towards a solid long term solution.

This was originally meant to be a powerhead to run a Simpson capstan winch, and I don't expect to need that until I go firewooding again, which will be awhile. I'll keep my eyes on the used Stihl/Husky/Dolmar market for a good deal, and look up what it'll take to convert a CS490 to 3/8's drive to run my winch. Then I'll be ready to just pull the trigger on the Echo if a need for the winch pops up before I find something solid on the used market.

Thank you sir, appreciate the help. The seals and mating surfaces were cleaned before gooping and reassembly.

Another member has expressed an interest in this saw, so I'm passing it along. The time involved is at least as much of a concern as the $$$, and I'm not willing to burn any more of either on this saw, only to still have a known faulty saw when it's all done. Would rather put that towards a solid long term solution.

This was originally meant to be a powerhead to run a Simpson capstan winch, and I don't expect to need that until I go firewooding again, which will be awhile. I'll keep my eyes on the used Stihl/Husky/Dolmar market for a good deal, and look up what it'll take to convert a CS490 to 3/8's drive to run my winch. Then I'll be ready to just pull the trigger on the Echo if a need for the winch pops up before I find something solid on the used market.
If your 490 has a rim sprocket you just need the 3/8 rim.

For you guys that want "the rest of the story"....
I got the saw and put the original carb into the ultra-sonic for 15 minutes. I took the diaphragms out of the Chinese carb and put them into the original. The original pump side was stretched. I adjusted the fulcrum to the correct height and the h/l needles to a more correct setting. The saw needed wiping down as it was dirty. The muffler screen was good and the piston looked great. I fixed the pin hole leak in the fuel line and then reset the gap for the coil. A air clean to the air filter was a good idea.
I re-assembled and pushed the primer bulb a few times. It took off and, after warmed up, adjusted the settings for a nice running saw. Cut some wood and have a nice little tree trimmer. The brake band is broken and I have one on order.

For you guys that want "the rest of the story"....
I got the saw and put the original carb into the ultra-sonic for 15 minutes. I took the diaphragms out of the Chinese carb and put them into the original. The original pump side was stretched. I adjusted the fulcrum to the correct height and the h/l needles to a more correct setting. The saw needed wiping down as it was dirty. The muffler screen was good and the piston looked great. I fixed the pin hole leak in the fuel line and then reset the gap for the coil. A air clean to the air filter was a good idea.
I re-assembled and pushed the primer bulb a few times. It took off and, after warmed up, adjusted the settings for a nice running saw. Cut some wood and have a nice little tree trimmer. The brake band is broken and I have one on order.
She lives, nice! Ever work on a 45 Husky? I’ve got one on the bench right now that I’m attempting to bring back from the dead. They’re quite a challenge compared the the 350’s I’m used to.

I adjusted the fulcrum to the correct height and the h/l needles to a more correct setting

Care to be more specific? Could use a little help on those settings. Been everywhere with em except correct.

Don't they have a plastic piece on both sides of the carb?

All four sides, actually...., and the coil mounted to the cylinder. Then there's the throttle cable that goes all the way from the carb through the bottom of the rear handle to get up to the trigger. Nice a/v, tho. LOL

Back