husky 254 tunning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlos

Reaction score
hi i have a husky 254 and i was wondering if any one could help me on tunning. how many turns out should the H and L screws be? which way do you turn to make leaner richer etc plus any other tips to make it run better.think thats it for now thank carlos

Most saws you should start settings at 1 turn out from LIGHTLY seated, otherwise you may damage the needles, and seats.

Clockwise on the screws is leaner, counterclockwise is richer. too lean is very bad for a saw, too rich, it wont run right but wont die as soon, or as bad of a death as too lean.

Before you get the Rpm's to high and blow it up, search a bit here.
I think you will find all you need to know.

thanks for the help i gave it all a clean and tuned it as you said and it seems better although at full revs it is slightly stuttery not sure why the plug is in good nick air filter is a bit old would that cause this???thanks again carlos.

i usually start out with both the high and low mixture screws turned out 1 1/2 , i would rather be safe then sorry and rather start out to rich then lean, if you foul a plug it is much cheaper to replace then a new top end. how is your plug burning, a good running saw or any 2 stroke for that matter should be burning a nice golden brown, and if your plug is burning white then it is running to lean, and a oil soaked plug is to rich. as for your wide open problem i would start adjusting the high screw a 1/4 turn at a time until it clears up, start by adusting it richer and if it gets worse then turn it clockwise(leaner) until it doesn't stumble. hope this helps :p

hi
thank you very much for the link to the downloadable manual, i have just printed it all out as i bought the saw second hand i have never had one. should be no probs to tune it correctly and adjust everthing else properly cheers carlos..

Carlos, I just thought that might be the case......
Just remember that the manual is from 2002, and if your saw is an early version, there could be differences.

Here is an independent test report from 2002: http://www.dlg-test.de/pbdocs/5000.pdf
As you can see, both power and weight is up, compared to what Husky states.
Should be a very nice saw!

hi. did the tuning today and it seems to run loads better i think the main prob was a glogged air filter so with a new chain and air filter it should be flying through logs again and straight into a stone knowing me!! thanks for the help. i dont think mines one of the xp models an older one i think cheers carlos

Latest posts

Back