husky 266 clutch replacemnt options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanrat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
so the spring in my 266 grenaded yesterday while cutting some 42" round silver maple slabs. didnt realize it until i couldnt get the chain to stop running at idle.

i did some research for new parts and want to know if just replaceing the spring is the best option or if i should replace the whole clutch assembly?

if replacing the whole assembly, i have found versions like mine and also versions with a 'C-clip' style tension device. is one better than the other?

thanks for the help!

If you don't have the tool then replacing the spring is a pain. The c-clip style is easy to work with.

Try to find a cylinder the same size or a hair larger than you need to slide the spring off and onto the clutch. If you try to work it on by hand and with screwdrivers it can be quite difficult.

so the spring in my 266 grenaded yesterday while cutting some 42" round silver maple slabs. didnt realize it until i couldnt get the chain to stop running at idle.

i did some research for new parts and want to know if just replaceing the spring is the best option or if i should replace the whole clutch assembly?

if replacing the whole assembly, i have found versions like mine and also versions with a 'C-clip' style tension device. is one better than the other?

thanks for the help!

If you decide to change the clutch, its important to know that the older 266SE's had a courser thread than the later 266XP's. I would opt for changing the spring rather than replacing the entire clutch anyway.

The cylinder method works nice if you do a lot of clutches, but if you don't want to make or buy a tool, you can make do with 3 arms and a bunch of screwdrivers...:smile2:

If you decide to change the clutch, its important to know that the older 266SE's had a courser thread than the later 266XP's. I would opt for changing the spring rather than replacing the entire clutch anyway.

The cylinder method works nice if you do a lot of clutches, but if you don't want to make or buy a tool, you can make do with 3 arms and a bunch of screwdrivers...:smile2:

thanks for the reminder about the clutch threads, totally forgot about that! I think a new sring will do just fine as the clutch shoes dont show much wear. plus a new spring is much cheaper than a whole new clutch.

If you don't have the tool then replacing the spring is a pain. The c-clip style is easy to work with.

Try to find a cylinder the same size or a hair larger than you need to slide the spring off and onto the clutch. If you try to work it on by hand and with screwdrivers it can be quite difficult.

It is difficult and is also possible to get a kink in the spring trying to pry it on (don't ask!!).....I turned a very shallow cone on the wood lathe, with a center hole to keep it centered on the crank for the older Jonsereds. It works great and simple to do .....if you have access to a wood lathe. As TK said a propersize cly of some sort will work too...

I expect your 226 has the coarse thread clutch and I don't believe the "C" spring type comes in anything but the later fine thread.....

Latest posts

Back