Husky 272XP / 24 inch bar ?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith42

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can this model saw handle a 24" bar and still have lots of cutting power or is the 24 incher too much for the saw? I have the 24" bar / chain on my saw now but seems like it may be too much bar for the motor. What are you guys' thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

You sure can use a 24" bar on a 272 alot of guys here will tell you to use a skiptooth chain.

24 inch bar

Please give me more information about which chain i need. I just bought a new one (chain) and a new oregon "pro" bar, couldn't even tell ya what the model / make of chain is, dealer ordered me one and didn't question him, may be the wrong chain, saw seems to "bog" down too much when i set it in the wood good, i can pull away and use a bit less bar / chain and she runs like a top. I DO NOT understand all the chain lingo / talk, just know when saws cut good or they don't. Thanks for your replies.

Here's a diagram of different chain types http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32352&d=1142713829

The less cutters, the less power you need to pull the chain through the wood.

I have a 288xp with a 32" bar running full skip, and that's an OK combo.

24" full comp on a 272xp sounds OK to me. You can make any saw/bar/chain combo bog if you try hard enough, but that should run OK. Full skip could be worth a try on your next chain. It might be better, it might not.

Skiptooth; your cutters are futher apart then lets say a standard chain.
Best I can do. do you have the box to the chain you are using? that should tell me what you have now.

Are you pushing on the saw, or are you letting the saw do the work? The 272 is a good saw and will run a bigger bar. A sharp chain, or correctly filed chains makes a big difference too.

-Steve

24 bar

keith yes you can the chain combo and wood type leave a lot of variables. Don't exspect it to cut like a 16 inch:greenchainsaw:

chain

Thanks guys for trying to help a novice, will try and find out what chain i have from asking my man that ordered it for me and let you know. The chain is really sharp and will actually pull away from me trying to cut into the wood, i let the weight of the saw work when i can, just seemed to me that the Husky was underpowered, the saw runs without any misses or cut-outs, i'm pretty sure that the saw is in top running condition. I just purchased the Husky and slapped the 24" bar on it, i know i'm not used to the saw / the way it cuts yet, maybe it's just me, dunno. Anyway, thanks again for all of your help, i find this site has a great bunch of knowledgeable people that try to help answer all of the questions being asked by people just like me,......amateurs. Have a good one.

Sounds like the saw has plenty of power if it is pulling away from you.
Keep in mind you are using a 24 in bar not knowing what size logs you are trying to cut all I can say is let the dogs make contact with your work.
If the saw starts to bog down in the cut. life the saw up till she starts to cut strong again. then you will start to be one with the saw.

I have been using a 272xp with a 32" skip tooth set up for several years for occasional firewood cutting. Cutting mostly fir and some maple and it's been fine! Keep it sharp, dig it in and let the saw do the work. A 24" bar should be no problem for it........Bob

Latest posts

Back