Husky 288xp problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just got this 288xp of mine back together with a new topend and now when im trying to tune it, it wont hold a tune and wont idle right and sounds like it has bad crankseals. How do you tell unless i just go ahead and put crankseals in it to eliminate the problem?

If you used an aftermarket top end, there are some bad ones out there. The problem is with the machining of the intake area; not a good fit to the manifold block. Just sayin.

If you used an aftermarket top end, there are some bad ones out there. The problem is with the machining of the intake area; not a good fit to the manifold block. Just sayin.

I did run into that problem..its a forester topend anyway...but i did get that problem ironed out. We'll see how it does..it seems like it has really good comp and i didnt miess with it either.

I would say that 288 is probably junk, I"ll be a nice guy and take that problem off your hands !!!!
Now that I said that, a vacuum test is definetly the way to go; For the price of new seals I would change them out, no sense burning down a great saw!

If you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread. My 288xp lite is acting up as well. Just put new fuel lines in her and 2 tanks in now it won't idle. She'll start up and just scream, air cleaner is clean, fuel is coming through the carb. What should I look at?

I would say that 288 is probably junkQUOTE]

Now why do ya gotta go and swear like that?..lol But ill put new seals in it just to be sure and go from there if that doesnt fix it. I was just gonna cut with it for a week or two to break it in and maybe trade it for another 385/390 but i might wanna keep it now...its gonna have too much new stuff in it..lol

If you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread. My 288xp lite is acting up as well. Just put new fuel lines in her and 2 tanks in now it won't idle. She'll start up and just scream, air cleaner is clean, fuel is coming through the carb. What should I look at?

If you can try to trace the problem..check all intake gaskets make sure they are sealed tight...then you might have a carb issue..then i would check base gasket and then crank seals...make sure decomp is tight as well as the spark plug.

I"m just jealous, been looking for a 288 at a good price for a while, and missed a few good deals.

i'll find one someday.
Got one from fleecebay, turned out to be a 272.

I"m just jealous, been looking for a 288 at a good price for a while, and missed a few good deals.

i'll find one someday.

You could do a 281 to 288 conversion maybe?

i'll find one someday.

Member o8f150 has one for sale in the classifieds last I checked. I can't comment on the saw specifically, or on price, but I will say that I have bought two saws from Scott and he has been a pleasure to deal with. Might drop him a PM if you are interested.

Most 288's have a governed carb and the spring gets weak overtime and leaks fuel randomly. If it's having a problems holding a tune (especially at full throttle) I would block off the governor and see if that helps, after vacuum checking the crank seals of course.

To block off the governor pull the large brass screw on the right side of the carb just in front of the choke shaft. This has a little spring and check ball mechanism that is supposed to open up when the vacuum gets high enough and dump more fuel in thus limiting the RPM of the engine. Cut a piece of aluminum can to fit down in the whole sealing off the passage for fuel and re-install the plug.

I had to do this to my 2100CD a few weeks ago because it was jumping all around while I was trying to tune the high side.

Most 288's have a governed carb and the spring gets weak overtime and leaks fuel randomly. If it's having a problems holding a tune (especially at full throttle) I would block off the governor and see if that helps, after vacuum checking the crank seals of course.

To block off the governor pull the large brass screw on the right side of the carb just in front of the choke shaft. This has a little spring and check ball mechanism that is supposed to open up when the vacuum gets high enough and dump more fuel in thus limiting the RPM of the engine. Cut a piece of aluminum can to fit down in the whole sealing off the passage for fuel and re-install the plug.

I had to do this to my 2100CD a few weeks ago because it was jumping all around while I was trying to tune the high side.

I did this to the 2100 i had because it seemed to me that it just plain wouldnt open up/run at WOT...blocked the govenor and it was a little better. I just couldnt justify having it when i had the 395, the 2100 would just sit. I will do this though if seals doesnt fix it...it seems like it is more of a lean sound though..so im guessing a air leak somewhere.

Latest posts

Back