Husky 288XP project done

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is the Husky 288xp that i bought off ebay awhile ago that needed lots of attention when i got it...it ended up needing more than i thaught it did. I wish i took before pictures..but if you can imagine the most sorry looking 288 i have ever seen thay had black grime all over it. It must have sat for awhile in a sawmill compressor or hydraulic pump room by what it looked like...so it was pretty bad. I got it finished today and thaught id just show you guys what it looks like now. Im still going to disable the govenor, and put new decals on it and maybe a new coil. And i had to make a custom deflector for the muffler because the other one whoever had it before me ripped it off somehow. But as of right now it runs good. Im going to take it to work since im back logging to break it in. I was thinking of selling this saw once i had it 100% finished...but i might end up attached to it and keep it. I built this saw to replace the 7900 i had..the 7900 is what the bar was off of as well as the chain. For an aftermarket cylinder and piston this 288 has loads of compression. Let me know what you think..shes ready to log..,.and thats exactly where its goin.View attachment 237569View attachment 237570View attachment 237571View attachment 237572View attachment 237573

This is the Husky 288xp that i bought off ebay awhile ago that needed lots of attention when i got it...it ended up needing more than i thaught it did. I wish i took before pictures..but if you can imagine the most sorry looking 288 i have ever seen thay had black grime all over it. It must have sat for awhile in a sawmill compressor or hydraulic pump room by what it looked like...so it was pretty bad. I got it finished today and thaught id just show you guys what it looks like now. Im still going to disable the govenor, and put new decals on it and maybe a new coil. And i had to make a custom deflector for the muffler because the other one whoever had it before me ripped it off somehow. But as of right now it runs good. Im going to take it to work since im back logging to break it in. I was thinking of selling this saw once i had it 100% finished...but i might end up attached to it and keep it. I built this saw to replace the 7900 i had..the 7900 is what the bar was off of as well as the chain. For an aftermarket cylinder and piston this 288 has loads of compression. Let me know what you think..shes ready to log..,.and thats exactly where its goin.View attachment 237569View attachment 237570View attachment 237571View attachment 237572View attachment 237573

Good job! What brand aftermarket P/C did you use? I have a 288XP that deserves some attention and I noticed the NWPs are now NiSi coated and thought about ordering up!

The 288's are old but will never die out. Seems they have beeb hiding out for a few years now but they are coming out of the sheds again now. I run 288's for years and have lots of parts but have been buying and trading saws and just can't find anything that feels as good as a 288.
looks great man! Put that girl to work. I like the low tops better.
jnl:msp_thumbup:

440, that saw doesn't have many hours bc they lose the paint above the gas cap quickly.

I love the 181/281/288 series. I have rebuilt a few and have a couple of 288's still. I too like the low top look. They are a snappy, nasty saw with a MM and a deleted base gasket.

Good job! What brand aftermarket P/C did you use? I have a 288XP that deserves some attention and I noticed the NWPs are now NiSi coated and thought about ordering up!

Actually this is a forester topend that i got cheap and i couldnt pass it up since i needed it anyway. This one is NISI i do believe..but just for cheap insurance if id do it again id put a NWP kit on it..i've built alot of logging saws for other guys including myself and boss with NWP BB kits and they hold up great and are mean wood eaters. We'll see how long this forester topend holds up...it might surprise me and hold up like an OEM but i dont know for sure i've never messed with forester topends other than this one.

The 288's are old but will never die out. Seems they have beeb hiding out for a few years now but they are coming out of the sheds again now. I run 288's for years and have lots of parts but have been buying and trading saws and just can't find anything that feels as good as a 288.
looks great man! Put that girl to work. I like the low tops better.
jnl:msp_thumbup:

Im partial to the low tops on 288's as well...it seems to me the high top ones feel bulky..low tops are like a sleeper saw...that is also really nimble and easy to handle. I built this 288 to look like the one i used to run at a sawmill i used to cut for...their other guys where going through stihl 460's left and right..(i say it was their tuning)...meanwhile me with the ole' jungle muffer 288xp where still slingin' the trees on the ground and feeding the skidders.

440, that saw doesn't have many hours bc they lose the paint above the gas cap quickly.

I love the 181/281/288 series. I have rebuilt a few and have a couple of 288's still. I too like the low top look. They are a snappy, nasty saw with a MM and a deleted base gasket.

I havent had good luck with taking the base gasket out...this one still has it in..but i might expirement..i need to find a sealer to hold up to everyday use and be reliable.

She looks good! I like 288's all the ones I've had the pleasure to run had loads of compression and torque. Looks like you did a good job.

Nice looking saw. You'll love the way it runs when right. Hope the cylinder works well. Been tempted myself to go that route.

Latest posts

Back