Husky 288xp rev limiting carb fix???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theoctagon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys i am curious how to get rid of the rev limiting part of the 288 carb. I have one that from what ive read seems like the spring is getting weak. It will only turn about 10,800. New bar and chain on it so thats not binding and everything else seems free. Compression is right up there and it starts and idles great.

Thanks for the help in advance.

You say 10,800RPM and then talk about the bar and chain being free. Does this mean the saws is turning that RPM in the cut? If it is you have a very good saw and I say don't mess with it. If it is free wheeling at 10,800 and you want more you had better know what you are doing to the high speed adjustment (before you burn it down). If you know what you are doing and have read about the fix (the spring seems weak) then you should already know what to do to fix it..

I worked on a couple of 288's. I never could hear them 4 stroke. I had to set them with a tach. I think it was because of the funky carb.

You say 10,800RPM and then talk about the bar and chain being free. Does this mean the saws is turning that RPM in the cut? If it is you have a very good saw and I say don't mess with it. If it is free wheeling at 10,800 and you want more you had better know what you are doing to the high speed adjustment (before you burn it down). If you know what you are doing and have read about the fix (the spring seems weak) then you should already know what to do to fix it..

10,800 is freewheeling and yes i know what im doing well enough to not burn down the saw. I have read there is a fix i just havent seen anywhere as to how. Just figured that would be easy to do with the carb off so i could eliminate that as a possibility. If i knew exactly how to do it i probably wouldn't be asking.

what is the model number on the carb? Im pretty sure only very early 281/288 had the carb governer. can you post pics?

I will get some pictures and model number tomorrow. its weird you get it good and rich down to say 9500 rpms and slowly adjust leaner. It hits about 10,800 and i didnt go much beyond that point but it didnt change at all. didnt want to lean it out too much so i quit there.

I will get some pictures and model number tomorrow. its weird you get it good and rich down to say 9500 rpms and slowly adjust leaner. It hits about 10,800 and i didnt go much beyond that point but it didnt change at all. didnt want to lean it out too much so i quit there.

My 288 was the same way due to its limiting carb... It still cleaned up when in the cut just fine, so I left it alone. I figured that limiter was in there to protect the saw.
Does your saw clean up like it should in the cut, (goes from four stroking to two)?

My 288 was the same way due to its limiting carb... It still cleaned up when in the cut just fine, so I left it alone. I figured that limiter was in there to protect the saw.
Does your saw clean up like it should in the cut, (goes from four stroking to two)?

Its very subtle but it seems to clean up in the cut. seems like a lack of power though which may be just my ears/mind playing tricks on me.

Latest posts

Back