Husky 3120

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superior72

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can someone help me with my husky 3120, i purchased an Alpine Magnum stump grinder a little over a year ago, and the muffler bolts have rattled loose 3 times and replaced once, the final time destroying the head in the process. Husky says sorry only 90 days warranty, so i am stuck with the $800 bill and the lost revenues. Can someone advise for me????:angry:

$800 sounds pricy, you can get a whole saw for $1300 USD.

I've seen new non-Husky 3120 cylinders on e-bay for around $130. When the head stripped on my 394, I just stuck a nut on the bolt, I'm not familiar with 3120's but if there is no room maybe you can grind away enough to get one in there. You've got nothing to loose if the cylinder is already trashed.

If you do get something rigged up, use lots of Locktite.

Last edited:
Yeah, fleabay might be helpful. Even a scored cylinder can be fixed. There has got to be a way around that $800:dizzy: Any big bore kits out for that saw? Check with all the saw builders and see if they have a extra p&c...

Perhaps a Machine shop can work a stud in for you, I have no idea about saw repair, just trying to help.

For those not familiar with the exhaust on a 3120, they have ears around the exhaust port that the bolts Fit into. I made new ones for mine with M6 threaded rod. Weld nuts to the rod, and file the two opposing flats down about 1/2 way. Use double locking nuts on the outside of the muffler. Because you are on a grinder, they won't interfere. Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Great post but for cylinders for other saws that don't have ears just rethread it with a tap and die set.I always loc tite exaust and cylinder bolts on all my saws and equipment.

My 3120 muffler came loose yesterday. :bang: I am planning to fix it and use red loctite. Is that what I should use ?

if it's a case of everything else on saw is fine. only the stud is stripped out.

the best fix is a stepped stud. helicoil need lots of room to drill out.

much stronger and better to use stud that's slightly larger in diameter.
this can be achieved by finding a stepped stud, where base is larger. drill out to larger size and tap.

another option is to go slightly oversize to next thread size up. for metric threads, this usually means switch to SAE thread size. install is exactly same as above. you may need to enlarge muffler to fit, usually size increase is too small to matter. use SAE nut to fit new stud.

either way will work, much better to go with stepped stud. if you can find one the correct size. really surprised dealer has not suggested this already.

I've repaired many a stripped stud this way.

superior72; said:
Can someone help me with my husky 3120, i purchased an Alpine Magnum stump grinder a little over a year ago, and the muffler bolts have rattled loose 3 times and replaced once, the final time destroying the head in the process. Husky says sorry only 90 days warranty, so i am stuck with the $800 bill and the lost revenues. Can someone advise for me????:angry:

Last edited:
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29279&d=1134613217

There aren't studs on the 3120. The long bolts fit into the ears of the exhaust port. The way to do it is with mechanical lock nuts or double nus on custom bolts. Husky uses mechanical lock nuts, they are insufficient though. A new 3120 comes with a t-handle 10MM socket, that is to tighten the nuts periodically. This is part of operator maintenance, wether or not the manual says it.

looks like ears could be rebuilt by most any machine shop that fixes automotive heads.

you should post a picture of damage. otherwise we are guessing...

Chopwood; said:
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29279&d=

There aren't studs on the 3120. The long bolts fit into the ears of the exhaust port. The way to do it is with mechanical lock nuts or double nus on custom bolts. Husky uses mechanical lock nuts, they are insufficient though. A new 3120 comes with a t-handle 10MM socket, that is to tighten the nuts periodically. This is part of operator maintenance, wether or not the manual says it.

The exhaust ears on the 3120 are probably the worst design Husky ever came up with. Watching Red try to switch from a muffler to a pipe in between events was like watching a :monkey: :censored: a football.

Back