Husky 346XP gray cover - YUK!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resale value

While I'm in total agreement with reindeer's post above, the only issue I have with the grey covers is they greatly reduce the resale value of the saw.

When I sold my 346XP and 576XP I had a real hard time convincing potential buyers of the saw's condition and hours of use simply because of the beat up appearance of the grey cover. Most potential buyers are / were unaware of the grey paint issues and immediately either walked away or threw a low ball offer based on condition. (You must remember 98% of the used saw buying public have no clue as to what to look for and expect as new condition) Eventually I found knowledgeable buyers but it took some time.

Based on my experience in product development and manufacturing including military, automotive, aircraft, and consumer, I'm really surprised, unless they're using a really archaic set up, finding a higher quality finish with more durability and abrasion resistance that is compatible with their paint / coating equipment and process, really shouldn't be that big an undertaking or added expense.

Take Care

Or use it as a tool for work it's meant to be used for and maybe spend less time primping it's hair? ;)

These saws have seen plenty of work and still look good (granted, color choice questionable). Just because someone may want to keep an investment in good clean condition does not mean they keep that equipment in a glass enclosure in the front room with a spot light shinning down 24/7. I do turn the light off at night.

These saws have seen plenty of work and still look good (granted, color choice questionable). Just because someone may want to keep an investment in good clean condition does not mean they keep that equipment in a glass enclosure in the front room with a spot light shinning down 24/7. I do turn the light off at night.

Not questionable - just horrible! :lol:

Put a 353 cover on it.

0106151732-L.jpg
Or better yet a 460 Rancher cover...
346cc.JPG

Very stupid 346's!
Has anyone noticed that the kill switch wire is always vibrating out and that the chain tightens by merely tightening the bar nuts?

I have notised the tightening (did already in 2003) - some "Kentucky windage" is needed with those chain adjusters. ;)

If it is annoying you, consider changing to a 460 rancher clutch cover (cover mounted adjuster). Personally, I prefer the original adjuster though.....

I never had any issues with the kill switch wire, despite I have 3 of those saws.

I'm just wondering if the rubber grommet in the oil outlet has anything to do with the self tightening?
The kill switch wire is just a simple friction fit in the plastic. If it was a male to female metal connectors, it may be a tighter fit. I have you beat though, I have 3.5 346's. Lol
I have notised the tightening (did already in 2003) - some "Kentucky windage" is needed with those chain adjusters. ;)

If it is annoying you, consider changing to a 460 rancher clutch cover (cover mounted adjuster). Personally, I prefer the original adjuster though.....

I never had any issues with the kill switch wire, despite I have 3 of those saws.

I'm just wondering if the rubber grommet in the oil outlet has anything to do with the self tightening?
In a word, NO.
With proper chain adjusting technique, there is NO problem at all!
Run both nuts in all the way snug then back them off 1/2 turn. Rest your left elbow on the chain brake handle, grab the chain with your left hand, pull up hard and adj the chain and tighten the nuts.

In a word, NO.
With proper chain adjusting technique, there is NO problem at all!
Run both nuts in all the way snug then back them off 1/2 turn. Rest your left elbow on the chain brake handle, grab the chain with your left hand, pull up hard and adj the chain and tighten the nuts.
Thanks, now I know how to tighten my chain properly after all these years. Lol

Latest posts

Back