Husky 350 Hard to start, Hot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawS

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Recently, while bucking logs for firewood, when trying to start the saw, after sitting for a few minutes, it does not want to start.
I use only prem. gas, and husky prem. oil mix, fresh spark plug, fuel filter is clean, air filter is clean, but pull away on the rope, and it will not fire.
If I pick the saw up, and shake it around, like back and forth, then it will start, but only idle, and will quit if I try to rev, but, if I give it gas slowly, eventually it will rev and run fine, even through many full throttle long cuts. I will cut it off, put it down for a few minutes, and when I go to start it next time... same thing all over again.

It always starts and runs ok, from a cold start, the problem seems to happen ony when hot, and in between cuts, shutting the saw off, and then going to use it again...

This only started recently, the saw is about 3 years old, and no problems until this situation started.

Any suggestions as to what I should look for??

Thanks!!

I look forward to hearing other answers. I have experienced the same thing with a couple of saws. It seems to me to be a 'borderline' vapor lock condition-the carb is getting gas but not all of it is liquid. Richening the hi speed mixture seems to help (the saw will run cooler) but there is a point when all you are doing is creating other problems from running too rich. It is also possible that your saw has marginal compression-making it hard to start hot.Like I said-I look forward to seeing some real saw mechanics respond -these are just my theories based on years of messing about with chainsaws. (If the river rat had had a chainsaw on his boat things might have really been interesting.:D )

I believe in some other thread, that someone had a similar problem. To the best of my knowledge, someone suggested that maybe the coil was starting to go bad? Sorry, I cant remember which thread it was in.

How dirty is your saw under the muffler, on the cylinder fins,in the recoil housing, and around the carb?

Russ

Hard start--

Hey, thanks for the responses. Sorry not to get back sooner. No the saw is totally clean, every time I am done using it, I blow it all out with compressed air and a blow gun, grease it, oil and gas it, and put it away. It does act like it is a vapor lock problem, I'll go after it with that in mind. I posted, hoping somebody may have had the same prob., and could say what they found.

Sounds normal for an Electrolux product.

You need to take a cooler full of ice, to dip the saw into, as the
"turbo" cooler has failed.

Seriously, the coil theory is likely incorrect. Before you get too
involved, look at the piston for damage through the exhaust port,
and that may end this thread.

But I am usually way off base.

Latest posts

Back