Ms 180 needs priming to start.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alleycat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
About a year ago the Sthil ms 180 wouldn't start. Good no ethanol free gas, good spark, plenty of compression, but no start. Pulled off the air filter and put a few drops of fuel in the intake and it cranked right up. Tore the carb down and the diaphram was shot. Bought a gasket kit off Amazon and it fixed the problem. The saw has sat up since last firewood season, and now it's the same no start issue. Prme it and it will run fine all day. The next day it has to be primed to start. I thought the no ethanol gas was supposed to keep this from happening.

About a year ago the Sthil ms 180 wouldn't start. Good no ethanol free gas, good spark, plenty of compression, but no start. Pulled off the air filter and put a few drops of fuel in the intake and it cranked right up. Tore the carb down and the diaphram was shot. Bought a gasket kit off Amazon and it fixed the problem. The saw has sat up since last firewood season, and now it's the same no start issue. Prme it and it will run fine all day. The next day it has to be primed to start. I thought the no ethanol gas was supposed to keep this from happening.

Have you checked that the choke plate works properly and is fully closed at the lowest lever position?

I love the non ethanol fuel cures all woes. Nope. It is all junk in 90 days.
I swear I find more water in non ethanol fuel than ethanol here.
Use it up. Run the unit dry before storage. Same thing we have said for 50 years.

Big yes on the choke. Next is filter, hose and carburetor. Don't forget the air filter and exhaust screen.

Latest posts

Back