Husky 351 vrs: Husky 55 Rancher?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTwoodnutt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Group,
I just bought a Husky 351XP w/20" bar (for $220-) but was wondering what the differences were, between that saw and a Husky 55 Rancher? (That my buddy is selling right now, also)!

- Both are 50cc motors, right?
- Does one have more power than the other?
- Is one more 'durabable' than the other?

I bought the 351 to replace a burnt out Stihl MS250, which was a great little saw, and wanted another lighter weight saw, in the 50cc range.
My work horse is my Husky 372 XP, but sometimes, I don't need to lug that one around, you know?

Would anyone know how to "decipher" Husqvarna's serial numbers?
Mine is: 002 2100557.
- What year is this saw?
- Where can I get a user manual for this saw?
- Just WHAT does the "XP" indicate, anyway, I've always wondered.

BTW- What's with Husqvarna numbering their models "3"-51...."4"-55, etc.
And what does the "3" and "4" indicate?

I know the Experts on this great site wil have many answers for me, which I Thank You all for, in advance!

Thanks, and good cuttin' to All!

CTwoodnutt

Husqvarna didn't make a 351XP as far as I know. That series was 340, 345, 346XP OE and NE, 350, 351, and 353. The 340, 345, 350 have plastic crankcases. The 346XP both editions are closed port. The 55 could be closed port but open port was most common. The 55 has rubber vibration isolators and the 300 series all have spring isolators which makes them very smooth running. If the 55 and 351 are both stock, the 55 may have a slight torque advantage. The 55's downfalls mentioned by some would be the intake and choke system. The 300 series had a plastic intake boot clamp that caused problems. The 350 is notorious for vibrating the muffler bolt loose. The muffler drops and the operator continues running the saw, melting a hole through the plastic oil tank and occasionally melting the brake handle pivot. The plastic crankcase is notorious for air leaks leading to fried pistons. Both the 55 and 351 are very durable. I think the first two digits of the serial is the year, so you have a 2000 saw. Go to Husqvarna's website for the user manual and illustrated parts list. The 3 and 4 are different series produced for a certain number of years. 50 series started in 1983, then 154, 254, 350, 450, 550, for example through the years.

Just to add to the above info, good info BTW

The 351 is the predecessor to the 353, good saw. Neither is a XP.. Same case as a 346xp, but diff P&C. 51cc. Metal case. Pro like construction. My brother uses one commercially that is a 1999 model.
Much better saw than a ms250.

Husky 55 is 55cc. Older design but still a good saw...

Latest posts

Back