Husky 357xp clutch issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lobsterlogger

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for some help. Have a nice 357xp with 3/8 and the chain keeps spinning no matter how low I idle the saw down. All the way to a stall. I tried a different clutch and same results. Both were the 3 spring type clutch. Is the issue somewhere else, or just in the Chinese clutches from ebay? Or in the drive sprocket somehow? Tried lowering the oil pump all the way down to see if it helped and tightened the chain a little too tight but that is not a good fix obviously. Any help is appreciated

Have you replaced the bearing or at the very least greased it if it’s in good condition?

Edit:

Also, when you say you’ve replaced the clutch, you don’t happen to mean the clutch bell rather than the clutch itself (shoes, carrier & springs)

Have you replaced the bearing or at the very least greased it if it’s in good condition?

Edit:

Also, when you say you’ve replaced the clutch, you don’t happen to mean the clutch bell rather than the clutch itself (shoes, carrier & springs)
Yeah I replaced everything. The bell, bearing and the clutch itself. Still spins the chain no matter how low I idle it down. Kind of at a loss on it. I will put my 359 clutch on it and see what the results are.
Thanks

I would suggest if the idle can be adjusted down to a point that stalls the saw- perhaps an air leak is not your issue.
It is entirely possible with these saws though, to mount the chain under the drive sprocket by accident and have direct non clutched drive off the crank because the drive links are sandwiched by the lower face of the drive sprocket and not engaged by the clutch bell.
Check for correct mounting on the chain and if all is correct- highly likely to start suspecting the aftermarket clutch springs for weak holding power.
Be interesting to see if your 359 clutch (genuine original?) cures the problem.
Personally I have had limited success using OEM springs in aftermarket clutches, when forced to use them.

Back