Husqvarna 55 Clutch question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I’m getting an oldie back online and trying to figure out the clutch. The saw physically runs good, but the clutch makes a pinging noise almost like a bell ringing and it wants to drag chain ever so slightly. I’ve got the idle down about as low as I feel comfortable with and it seems to help a little but it’s still happening. I put a new spring in the clutch and a new sprocket bearing but same deal. Is this something I can fix, or is there anything else I may need to check that can cause this? It seems like the clutch is ever so slightly trying to engage. Maybe I’m wrong and it’s something else?

I’m getting an oldie back online and trying to figure out the clutch. The saw physically runs good, but the clutch makes a pinging noise almost like a bell ringing and it wants to drag chain ever so slightly. I’ve got the idle down about as low as I feel comfortable with and it seems to help a little but it’s still happening. I put a new spring in the clutch and a new sprocket bearing but same deal. Is this something I can fix, or is there anything else I may need to check that can cause this? It seems like the clutch is ever so slightly trying to engage. Maybe I’m wrong and it’s something else?

Can you post a good picture of it? Possibly clutch drum is out of round.

It looks okay. Are both clutch washers in place?
It looks okay. Are both clutch washers in place?
There’s metal cover against the crank to prevent rubbing but that’s all I see. Is it supposed to have washers somewhere? I bought it second hand so there’s no telling if it ever had them or not.

There’s metal cover against the crank to prevent rubbing but that’s all I see. Is it supposed to have washers somewhere? I bought it second hand so there’s no telling if it ever had them or not.

Yes. Should have a washer that goes on the crankshaft up against the shoulder the the bearing rides on. Most saws have a bearing between the clutch and the drum. Can't remember for sure if the 55 does. It's been a while. You can look up an IPL online.

Latest posts

Back