Husky 359 mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drogueman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Will a muffler mod help my 359 gain a little more power? I have a Husky 44 (not a 044) and it seems to out cut the 359. Although the 44 has an 18 inch bar & chain and the 359 has a 20 inch I still think the 359 should do a little better than the 44. If I do decide to do the mod on the 359 can anyone help me with a step by step process so I don't over do it with the drill size or incorrect placement of the drill holes. The 44 is my best cutting saw and although it is old the saw seems to have lots of power and rpms compared to my 9 other saws. I would sure appriciate any help on this matter, thanks.

Might want to search that one, it has been covered a couple times. (edit as mentioned above posted same time)

Do you have an EPA saw with green cap and "CAT" muffler, if so you might want to get a non EPA 357 muffler to start with. "CAT" muffler has nasty stuff in it and you may not want to mess with it.

2 half inch to 5/8 inch holes or tubes will work just nice. I would expect gains to be in the 20-35% range, the CAT muffler is a problem on that saw. You will need to clip the limiter caps and readjust the carb.

Here are a couple tubes mig welded into a 359 muffler. I would TIG them now with stainless filler for a cleaner weld.

http://new.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30983&d=1138923203

Thanks 2000& Timberwolf for your input and links, it will be very helpful in proceding with the mod. The 359 is not the EPA late model saw so that should make it easy. Can I just get away with drilling the holes and note disassemble the muffler? I got the saw at a yard sale for $60, it had no bar & chain and wouldn't run. Turns out it was the impulse line, it had fallen off and was cracked and rotting. I think that saw goes for about $479 brand new so I made out great! Thanks again for all your help.

You can just drill holes, but make sure they go through both the outer shell and the innar divider plate, otherwise you wont be getting at the bottle neck the innar plate and discharge tube causes.

You do want the muffler off the saw though to make sure you get all the shavings and metal burs cleaned up. Also you can match up the muffler inlet to the exhaust flange and gasket a bit better with a little grinding there too.

Given it was a non EPA muffler you started with gains might be closer to the 15-20% range.

Last edited:
Back