Husky 359 Stock Squish @.050" - How thick are OEM gaskets?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I bought a minty 359 at an estate sale a few years ago and plan to pull the cylinder to replace the problematic intake clamp before it fails.

While I'm at it, I might as well dual port the muffler, and do some mild porting of the transfers based on what I read in an earlier thread.

Today I measured squish prior to embarking on any mods and it's an average of .050". Does anyone know what the stock gasket thickness is? I'm curious if I can go without a gasket or need a gasket thinner then OEM. It sounds like .020" is the sweet spot so I'm just curious what to expect?

TIA

I just built one a couple months back, deleted base gasket. I have no idea what squish is, but based on research I did seems to be a pretty safe saw to do this mod on. I also dual ported muffler, cleaned transfers, shaved bridge from transfer covers, and slightly widen ports. Saw rips, I've put about 8 thanks through it so far.20190324_192117.jpg 20190401_170543.jpg

^^Thanks guys. So, it looks like I can eliminate the gasket and still have about .030" of squish. I don't see how to get to .020" without machining the base of the cylinder which I have no intention of doing.

For a gasket sealant, would Loctite #518 Anaerobic Flange sealant be a good choice.

I plan to try and replicate some of the cylinder work that Mastermind posted here:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/modding-a-new-old-stock-husqvarna-359.231071/

.050 seems a little high for an oem cyl. Are you measuring it only on each side above the piston pin? That's both sides just in front of the spark plug hole. The piston will rock on the pin, giving a high measurement anywhere else. All but the small softest solder might give a high measurement too.

Good luck. Bet it will be a runner.

I just buttoned up the cylinder using no gasket and Permatex Anearobic Flange sealant and now I measure an average of .028 squish. I used two pieces of small solder front and back and then side to side to minimize any rocking affect. There's obviously no way to reach the .020 sweet spot without major machining work but I'll take whatever I can easily get.

Nice. I forget people measure it that way because I only check each side through the spark plug hole.

No worries about not getting the bare minimum squish. Some might even make a thin gasket to get where you are now. Should be a strong saw.

WOW!! What an impressive saw.

I reduced squish from .050 to .028, dual ported the muffler with a Husky 288 side deflector, did some Dremel work on the base of the cylinder like in Mastermind's thread but left the transfer ports alone and finally re-tuned the carb.

I also installed the new Husky intake clamp/shield kit.

Even with a 20" 3/8" bar this saw performs like a 70cc saw. It might become my all time favorite.

Latest posts

Back