husky 365,359 or makita 6401 which one??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another vote for the 365 of those mentioned. Should have about the performance of my 262XP which I find is an awesome saw, despite the age. Bring'em (MS361) on! ;)

If you can spend the money. Take a look at that 2171 which is a beast that deserves a lot of good rep. All good talk about the 372 is valid for the 2171 also.

/Peter

365 is a bit hefty, but great saw. If you want you can replace the jug with a BB from baileys and have a nearly 80cc saw.

359 is understated around here, with a muffler mod and a very little bit of port clean up it is a powerhouse in a compact package.

Another vote for the 365 of those mentioned. Should have about the performance of my 262XP which I find is an awesome saw, despite the age. Bring'em (MS361) on! ;)

Sure, but the 365 is heavier and less powerful than the 262xp - nevertheless a good saw.....

....here in Europe, the MS 361 will probably be at least as fast in most wood, and it is more than a pound lighter, and less bulky - higher rpms also, except for max torque (about the same).

In the US the 365 will have a slight power output advantage over the 361, but it is only .1 kW, and maybe .1-.2 Nm max torque.....

For stationary firewood cutting I have nothing against the 365, but I wouldn't want it for a woods saw - but that is just me. :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
... 359 is understated around here, with a muffler mod and a very little bit of port clean up it is a powerhouse in a compact package.

I believe it actually is overrated as a stock saw, based on modded saw performance.

I haven't used one, but the specs are really enough to avoid a stock 359 - it weights about halv a pound more than the 361 (not according to specs, but according to actual weighting, and it also feels heavier), and has nowhere near the same power.

Fully woods modded is a totally different story, though...........

Last edited:
I think that I will pick up the 365 tomorrow it sound like it will siut me well and the guy will sell it for 205. I was interested in the makita 6401 but if most of you guys say 365 I will try it. I cant find a used stihl 036 or 361 anywhere but ebay and i want to stay away from that for this purchase. thanks for all the reply it really help me fell like Im making the right choice.
jason

I think that I will pick up the 365 tomorrow it sound like it will siut me well and the guy will sell it for 205. I was interested in the makita 6401 but if most of you guys say 365 I will try it. I cant find a used stihl 036 or 361 anywhere but ebay and i want to stay away from that for this purchase. thanks for all the reply it really help me fell like Im making the right choice.
jason

Buying used saws is allways a risky business, unless you plan to change out the P&C - then the 365 is the perfect candidate..........:) :)

Two things to look for, blue coiled 365s have a rev limiter, almost all black coiled 365s are non rev limited. Get a black coil 365 if possible, easier to tune, runs better.

I belive the open transfer 365's tend to have a zama carb, closed transfer 365's tend to have a walboro. The closed transfer walboro is the beter jug and carb IMHO. Also the boot on the closed transfer jug will fit the BB, on the open Transfer jug the boot will need to be replaced to fit the BB kit.

Not a 100% rule of thumb, you never know when they ran short of one part or another on the production line, or if someone switched parts over the saws life.

Two things to look for, blue coiled 365s have a rev limiter, almost all black coiled 365s are non rev limited. Get a black coil 365 if possible, easier to tune, runs better.

I belive the open transfer 365's tend to have a zama carb, closed transfer 365's tend to have a walboro. The closed transfer walboro is the beter jug and carb IMHO. Also the boot on the closed transfer jug will fit the BB, on the open Transfer jug the boot will need to be replaced to fit the BB kit.

Not a 100% rule of thumb, you never know when they ran short of one part or another on the production line, or if someone switched parts over the saws life.

Good post - I knew there were some possible pitfalls, but couldn't put my finger streight on them.........:rockn: :rockn:

WOW that is good to know I will have to look at the coil before I buy. So I should be looking for a black coil and walbro carb on the saw. Got it. Thanks for the great info. I like to learn all of the little things that make and break a saw.
jason

Another way to tell the jug type is by the boot, if the carb boot clamps on to the jug It should be a closed port, If it bolts on it is likely the open transfer port.

It's not that it is a bad saw if it is open ported or rev limited, but if your performance minded... and thinking of a BB jug in the future it is worth thinking about.

The boot and coil can be swaped easy, but it would set you back $100 plus to buy them new.

WOW that is good to know I will have to look at the coil before I buy. So I should be looking for a black coil and walbro carb on the saw. Got it. Thanks for the great info. I like to learn all of the little things that make and break a saw.
jason

If tha price is right and it has the blue coil you can pick up a black coil reasonably easy...

Sure, but the 365 is heavier and less powerful than the 262xp - nevertheless a good saw.....

....here in Europe, the MS 361 will probably be at least as fast in most wood, and it is more than a pound lighter, and less bulky - higher rpms also, except for max torque (about the same).

In the US the 365 will have a slight power output advantage over the 361, but it is only .1 kW, and maybe .1-.2 Nm max torque.....

For stationary firewood cutting I have nothing against the 365, but I wouldn't want it for a woods saw - but that is just me. :greenchainsaw:

Yes,maybe the 262XP would outcut the 365. Haven't tried the 365 myself.
I must say I really admire the 262. I read a report from a guy (on www.skogsforum.se if interested, swedish) that tried the 357XP, MS361 and the 262XP side by side. The MS361 outcut the 357 when bucking larger wood (357 beeing the faster one for limbing though), but his old 262XP kept up just fine with the 361 in all aspects. And one can assume that it has lost some compression from the time it was new. Personally I see that as a big failure from Stihl and Husky, not beating a 10 year older saw with their new 361 and 357. Or does it simply show that the development of chainsaws has somehow stalled.

Yes,maybe the 262XP would outcut the 365. Haven't tried the 365 myself.
I must say I really admire the 262. I read a report from a guy (on www.skogsforum.se if interested, swedish) that tried the 357XP, MS361 and the 262XP side by side. The MS361 outcut the 357 when bucking larger wood (357 beeing the faster one for limbing though), but his old 262XP kept up just fine with the 361 in all aspects. And one can assume that it has lost some compression from the time it was new. Personally I see that as a big failure from Stihl and Husky, not beating a 10 year older saw with their new 361 and 357. Or does it simply show that the development of chainsaws has somehow stalled.

Well no real surprices there, the 262xp is 61.5cc, the MS361 59cc, and the 357xp 56.5cc....

...and the 262 and 357 are both heavier than the 361, and have an outboard clutch.........:D :D

Last edited:
Well no real surprices there, the 262xp is 61.5cc, the MS361 59cc, and the 357xp 56.5cc....

...and the 262 and 357 are both heavier than the 361, and have an outboard clutch.........:D :D

Might be that they are a tad heavier than the 361 but nothing that matters in real life I guess. With bar, chain, oil and gas added ..
I find Stihl has other disadvantages. Bad ergonimcs mainly. You can't turn them up side down and cut with pushing chain, you will reach the kill switch with your thumb (very annoying when cleaning up after storms). I also find they have much more plastic feeling than the Huskys. Husky also has better antivib, air filtration and sound ;) But that's of course my opinion ...

Might be that they are a tad heavier than the 361 but nothing that matters in real life I guess. With bar, chain, oil and gas added ..
I find Stihl has other disadvantages. Bad ergonimcs mainly. You can't turn them up side down and cut with pushing chain, you will reach the kill switch with your thumb (very annoying when cleaning up after storms). I also find they have much more plastic feeling than the Huskys. Husky also has better antivib, air filtration and sound ;) But that's of course my opinion ...

It sounds like you have used only old and/or cheap Stihl models........:cheers: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :greenchainsaw:

I believe that that there are less plastic in the 361, than than in the 372xp - at least the 372 has a more platicky feel and look to it, but no real problem......

The anti-vibe and ait filter system are no longer a problem, with the newer Stihl models.

Last edited:
We have Hijacked this thread Troll. See attached pictures of 361 and 357. What I don't like on the Stihl is the big fat rear part. It's so bulky in front of the rear handle. The Husky is much smoother in shape, more ergonomic, high center of mass and the body is not so wide. You can easily let it roll over the tree when limbing. It's the same on my 026 compared to the 353.

Personally I would use:
Stihl: On a sunny day cutting big leaf trees with few but thick branches.
Husky: On a day in very dense pine with rain or snow and nature is against you ;)

Makes sense doesn't it :cheers:

What I like about Stihl though is their bars and chains. The bars are long lasting.

Well bad news the 365 has a blue coil zama carb and the carbscrews intothe intake tube. Daw gon I have bad luck getting kucky with that stuff.I didnt buy the saw right now. I dont know if I still should or keep looking. Or the makita.
jason

Back