Husky 371 AV spring buffer replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firekindler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a pre-2000 Husky 371. The buffer spring mount between the fuel tank and ignition switch broke. I ordered a replacement from my local saw shop. Now I find they gave me the one that goes at the front of the powerhead. According the parts diagram, it should be 503 83 83 - 01 std or 02 hard. What I was given was 503 63 76 - 03. They look identical in the pictures I find online.
A: are they interchangeable?
B: pros and cons standard vs hard?
C: I took off the wrap around handle so the case components can separate enough to get the old one out. But despite no bolt on the side that goes deeper into the case, it doesn't want to come out. I pulled pretty hard on it with a needle nosed vice grip. Do I just need to pull harder, or is there some trick? The bolt is inserted through the outer case into the outer end of the spring. So I don't know what's holding it in there.

Thanks!

The spring threads onto the tank. Sometimes you need to grab the spring tight to the tank over the threaded part with vise grips to get them off
Thank you, sir! I sent an email to the ex-owner of my favorite Husky shop and he said grab it tight, and screw it counter clockwise off the stud imbedded in the case. It's out now.

A) Yes they can be interchangeable and i'm sure there is a million out there running with 2 of the same or a backwards configuration. That's actually my favorite..lol..j/k
A lot of people don't know that there is a difference and may rob the wrong one off another saw.
They are really hard to tell when they are side by side. One has slightly thicker coil and is a slight taller. ID is the same.
A lot of work saws may not have perfect factory gaps anymore between case and tank anyway and that one works as normal when a little off center. Having said that. I am very fussy and wouldn't knowingly want to do that.
I would say I doubt you would notice the difference if you want to take it for a spin. Make sure you twist it on fully home.
B) Regular seems ok for cutting but can notice kick on the back arm a lot when cumming off the trigger way to many times per day.

A) Yes they can be interchangeable and i'm sure there is a million out there running with 2 of the same or a backwards configuration. That's actually my favorite..lol..j/k
A lot of people don't know that there is a difference and may rob the wrong one off another saw.
They are really hard to tell when they are side by side. One has slightly thicker coil and is a slight taller. ID is the same.
A lot of work saws may not have perfect factory gaps anymore between case and tank anyway and that one works as normal when a little off center. Having said that. I am very fussy and wouldn't knowingly want to do that.
I would say I doubt you would notice the difference if you want to take it for a spin. Make sure you twist it on fully home.
B) Regular seems ok for cutting but can notice kick on the back arm a lot when cumming off the trigger way to many times per day.
I noticed my XPW with the stiff springs feels less floppy with a 32 than my brother’s plain 372 with a 28, but I haven’t cut with them enough to see if there’s a difference while running them.

Thanks for the info!

I noticed my XPW with the stiff springs feels less floppy with a 32 than my brother’s plain 372 with a 28, but I haven’t cut with them enough to see if there’s a difference while running them.
yeah, IDK. I have bought them new and tried them once long ago. Can't really remember but I always bought the reg ones which work fine. I have used a 36" power-match bars before using light bars. if they are in good shape they won't bang the throw-limiters on under-bucks but if they are weak then they will when just walking down the road with the saw in one hand with a 24", then you can here it bottom out.

Latest posts

Back