Husky 390xp - Removing carb limiter caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colonel428

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I've added an extra exhaust port with deflector on one side of my 390 muffler and am going to add another one to the opposite side as well. Both opening are approximately 1.5"x 1" each. I'm thinking I may need to remove the limiter caps to properly tune it afterwards. How do I go about removing them? And please be as specific as possible. I run saws, I don't work on 'em. Thanks, Steve.

I simply use a splined carb screwdriver tool. They can be had for cheap on eBay.

To delete them without the tool, you have to push in the thin spring-loaded limiter ring that encircles the needle screw, as you turn the screw. With the needle removed, you can mod the limiter piece or put the needle back in without it.

I simply use a splined carb screwdriver tool. They can be had for cheap on eBay.

To delete them without the tool, you have to push in the thin spring-loaded limiter ring that encircles the needle screw, as you turn the screw. With the needle removed, you can mod the limiter piece or put the needle back in without it.
Thanks Andy. I've got a splined tool and have used to adjust the carburetor already. So if using the splined tool there is no need to remove the caps? Correct? Thank you, Steve.

Thanks Andy. I've got a splined tool and have used to adjust the carburetor already. So if using the splined tool there is no need to remove the caps? Correct? Thank you, Steve.
No real need, other than to mod/remove the limiter to allow the use of just a regular screwdriver.

Latest posts

Back